Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephy0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
My Macbook Pro doesn't start. It just stays in the screen with the apple logo and the spinning wheel. I had just purchased it in January. After investigating, I got the following:
Invalid sibling link
Invalid node structure
The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired.

I used DiskWarrior v 4.4 to try to repair it but it tells me: The new directory cannot replace the original directory because of a disk malfunction. It tells me to back up my data using the dual browser preview window before I replace the directory. This is the part I'm not sure how to do. It doesn't let me copy from the preview pane meaning the 'copy' button is grayed out. Do I need an external hard drive or should I connect my Macbook to the Macbook I am currently using? I also have Data Rescue 3 in a CD so I don't know if I'm better off using that.

PerformaGuy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Your disk might be beyond a software repair solution, as great as DiskWarriror is (saved me a few times).

I think at this point if the data is really valuable to you and you have no backup, it would be safer to stop any further disk activity and call up a place like Drive Savers and get a quote on a physical repair/recovery.

Further activity (read and write) on the disk could put your data at risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.