Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speters

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2009
I am using MakeMKV to back up my blu ray's, but I was wondering if there is any way to get any of the lossless hd audio formats off a blu ray disc? I know that currently there us no way to play it back, but I am sure there will be in the future so I would like to be able to at least have that backed up as well.

Thanks,
Steve

nordesmic

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
I am using MakeMKV to back up my blu ray's, but I was wondering if there is any way to get any of the lossless hd audio formats off a blu ray disc? I know that currently there us no way to play it back, but I am sure there will be in the future so I would like to be able to at least have that backed up as well.

Thanks,
Steve

If you use tsmuxer (doesn't work in leopard i believe) you can extract streams such as DTS-HD and TrueHD from the main .m2ts file from the bluray. There are also applications for Windows such as eac3to which can do the same thing.

I'm not really sure what you mean in terms of playing it back. Do you mean on a computer there is no way to play the HD audio stream? It is possible to have full .m2ts with HD audio on a device such as a Popcorn Hour and then have the HD audio decoded by a compatible receiver.

speters

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2009
My understanding is that the only way to get lossless HD audio from a blu ray, such as dd true hd, is over hdmi 1.3. And there are no hdmi cards available for mac.

speters

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Do I have to first use anydvd? If I select one of the m2ts files straight from the blu ray, I get this message "Can't detect stream type. File name:.....". How do I know which m2ts file to choose, there are about 20?

Thanks,
Steve

nordesmic

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
You will still need to use AnyDVD HD to get rid of the copy protection. If you are in windows and have anydvd HD open in the background when you are running tsmuxer then the copy protection will be removed on the fly.

To work out which m2ts file is the main movie just look at the files on the disc and there should be one that is 20-35 GB. Some discs will have the main film divided into multiple m2ts files, but it is pretty rare.

You are probably right about HDMI cards and Macs. I find streaming to a media player to be more convenient. Some of the new media players have HDMI 1.3 so you can send lossless audio to a receiver.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

Thanks,
Steve

This is not a solution but a way to deal with your situation in the future. As others have said, investigate the use of AnyDVD HD, along with EAC3toGUI, and TSMuxer.

In my case I save all the "HD" audio to folders for later use when I have a system that will take advantage of re-adding them back to the m2ts files.

Thus I end up with a movie m2ts files was AC3/DTS that are played and for that given movie i have the original HD audio stored elsewhere.

This is not a solution as stated, but unless you have a way to play files presently with HD audio, this is a good interim so you don't have to go back to your original BD discs.

It is rather sad that DisplayPort technically can carry the audio over from a Mac yet, Apple prevents it. I am sure this has more to do with wanting ATV to be the sole media system and, not getting into compliance issues with everyone else with respect to HDMI "features/locks."

Of course, you could just play your discs via sub 200 dollar BD player going to a proper Receiver and your HDTV.

- Phrehdd

speters

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2009
So I found the correct m2ts file and I have added it in tsmuxer. There are 4 files, H.264, LPCM, AC3, and DTS-HD. If I only want to DTS-HD file I just select that. Then do I select TS muxing, m2ts, blu-ray disk,...?

Thanks,
Steve

Enigma55

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
Since the apple tv does not have the power to fully implement 1080p blu-ray mkv rips and the mac mini does not have the hdmi 1.3 interface required for dts-hd playback we are all out of luck for this. Personally I do not currently see an acceptable blu-ray rip solution available if you want to be able to stream blu-ray video at its best quality.
For now I have had to just use dvd rips with Plex and play blu-ray through my PS3 to get the "full experience."

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Since the apple tv does not have the power to fully implement 1080p blu-ray mkv rips and the mac mini does not have the hdmi 1.3 interface required for dts-hd playback we are all out of luck for this. Personally I do not currently see an acceptable blu-ray rip solution available if you want to be able to stream blu-ray video at its best quality.
For now I have had to just use dvd rips with Plex and play blu-ray through my PS3 to get the "full experience."

Thanks for pointing this out. There are a number of blu-ray threads about but this was what I wanted to hear. The bottom line being, rip your DVDs and hold onto your Blu-Ray for a while longer.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yes When I convert Blu rays to 720p rips I usually have to extract the DTS from the MKV file with ClownBD, then I convert video only using HB, then I stich the converted DTS now an .ac3 file back into my new .m4v file with YAMB.

twach

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
Yes When I convert Blu rays to 720p rips I usually have to extract the DTS from the MKV file with ClownBD, then I convert video only using HB, then I stich the converted DTS now an .ac3 file back into my new .m4v file with YAMB.

Could I do the same thing with tsmuxer? Are you using anydvd to remove encryption?

spraggih

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
Well the current version of MakeMKV 1.4.10 will extract the lossless audio stream from Blu-ray.

Of course IIRC Plex or Mac or both does not support lossless audio...:eek: but at least it will be stored in the MKV container for the future.

Now ------ do I re-rip all my movies to extract the lossless audio using the latest version of MakeMKV? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.