How to copy/export bookmarks in firefox 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hamsterburger, Dec 4, 2007.

1. hamsterburger macrumors member

I'm gonna do a fresh install of OSX. Where are the bookmarks in firefox 3.0 saved and how do I get to them? I want to be able to put them back into Mozilla with a fresh install.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Bookmarks are stored in HTML file Bookmarks.html in ~/Library/Mozilla/Profiles/default/********.slt/. This file may be moved to just about any account on any computer and used with any Gecko-based browser. My Booksmarks file originated in Netscape Communicator 4.7 back in 1934.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, there is no NC 4.7 in 1934

firefox's bookmark on a mac is located at
    ~/Library/application support/firefox/ the one you listed is mozilla suite's profile location. firefox's was changed when firefox 2.0 came out last year.

In firefox 3, there will be changing in bookmark system, also a further protection against data loss upon unexpected quit of firefox.

4. palmerized macrumors regular

Go to Organize your Bookmarks. Then there is an Export/Import option in the menu. Easy-squeezy.

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I don't see that option? do you have an add-on that is giving you that export option?

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Picture 3.jpg

As far as I understand it the bookmarks in FF3 is no longer stored in the bookmarks.html file in your profiles folder, but rather in the places.sqlite database file. They probably gave up on the old model which has never worked properly, IMO.

7. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

8. hamsterburger thread starter macrumors member

Yes, thanks for the help. I was wondering where to find the export option in firefox 3.0

9. mickydeenyc macrumors newbie