How to copy files with the same name into one folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by li3to, Jul 5, 2012.

1. li3to macrumors newbie

Greetings people.

My HDD died and after information restore service i am in a situation here and need help finding a solution:

I have thousands of various nameless folders with over 800,000 files and i need to "extract" .psds from it. Its all messed up. No problems, i found 4000 psds (yes i work a lot, lol), but turned out that i was stupid enough to name every file in my every project like v1.psd, v2.psd etc.

Now i dont have time to sort 4000 files right now and i just need to place it in one nice and quite folder where they would wait for their sorting time. Turns out i cant do it since mac os wont rename files while copying and it suggest me to overwrite which i obviously do not want.

What do i do?

Thanks a lot!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What version of Mac OS X do you have? What you're asking is not possible in any version prior to Lion (10.7) so you would have to rename the files to be something unique. Though I haven't used Lion, it has a feature new to the Mac OS called Versions. Now, this might just keep an older version of a file around as an archive of sorts, and might not work for what you're wanting to do. Perhaps some Lion users can enlighten us about that.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Versions has absolutely nothing to do with the problem at hand.

OP, try renaming the files using a batch renamer. I've used A Better Finder Rename 8 many times (got it in a bundle), but I know others here have their own favorites.

jW

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Thanks. Good to know, but bad for this problem. Would've been an easy "fix", although not perfect. We use a document management system at work, and it does versions, but of course, they're all "embedded" in the same file.