How to Copy iMessages from Mac to Mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by drizzzt, Dec 2, 2013.

1. drizzzt macrumors newbie

Hi, i just bought a new mac mini and i transferd my backup ( made with timemachine ) from my old mac to the new one but when i opne the massages app its empty no massages i tryed to copy the messages file ( from library/massages but i dose not work. Ican opne the conversation but i cant import them in the app.

Have you got maybe any idea how to import this files in to the app ?

On the old one im using mavericks and on the new one its mountain lion

2. chabig macrumors 68040

How did you "transfer" transfer your backup? Migration Assistant would have moved it all.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I suspect the Messages database won't be compatible going backwards. If you were on ML and moving to Mavericks it would upgrade the database to work in the new version but ML can't downgrade the database moving from Mavericks to ML.

That said, with both machines logged in to Messages you SHOULD see the history. I have a Mac for work and a Mac at home, both showed the same messages when the work one was still on ML.

4. drizzzt thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a time capsule backup on my old mac and then when i started the new one i choose to restore from a hard drive and i got all my data etc but no imasssage history. I can write new messages ofc but thats not the point :D

5. drizzzt thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i solved the problem :) it was easy heheh i instaled mavericks on the new mac and then restored again from the backup :) and it works perfect :D