How to copy ISO files to external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by manilamac, Jul 7, 2010.

1. manilamac macrumors newbie

Hello, I've created an ISO file which I need to back up and keep safe. I have a couple on my macbook pro but due to the large file size, it's taking up alot of space on my hard drive.

I tried to drag and drop this onto my external hard drive but when I attempted to move them, it came back with an error message saying it wasn't possible to do due to an error.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

I can drag and drop every other type of file but for some reason this wont want to work?

note: the file itself ranges from 4.9GB - 8GB and I have about 200GB space on my portable hard drive.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What format is the external HDD using?
    It sounds like it uses FAT32, which has 4GB/file limit.

http://guides.macrumors.com/File_systems

You could split the files in question via Split & Concat into smaller (less than 4GB) pieces and combine them later on a HFS+ or NTFS formatted volume.

3. manilamac thread starter macrumors newbie

How to read ntfs volumes?

Hi there! Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Is there any way macs can read NTFS formatted drives? I'm thinking maybe I can partition my drive
    And have one with NTFS of this will allow me to
    Transfer the 4+GB files without having to split them.

Do you know if this is possible

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as the first link I offered explained it. Mac OS X can READ NTFS formatted volumes.
    You need something like NTFS-3G or Paragon NTFS 8.0 to be able to write to NTFS formatted volumes in Mac OS X.

Partitioning, without losing data, might require a third party software to do so, as Disk Utility is not able to partition without losing data.

5. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

I have a similar problem except I cant transfer my iso file to either bootcamp nor an external hard drive and even when I compressed it I couldnt transfer the zip file either. There is a circle with a diagonal line across but I can transfer it around my mac from desktop to other folders etc.

6. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Oh and I just realized I have that circle with line in the middle when i try transfering anything!!!! help.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What format (file system) is the external HDD using and how big are the files?
    Check via Finder and the Get Info window.
    [​IMG]

Any more information you can share? Mac OS X version, exact Mac model, ...?

Btw, to quote someone, just press the [​IMG] button.

To quote several posts, use the [​IMG] button (multi-quote).

To edit your posts, use the [​IMG] button.

All these buttons are on the bottom right of the posts.

8. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Its a windows nt file system ntfs, but like I said file size isnt the issue cause I cant transfer anything to it, nor bootcamp and I heard bootcamp is transfarable form mac osx. And I have over 50 gb available so size isnt the issue. Plus I can just compress the file into a zip if its a problem but its an iso over 4gb. ALso when I double click on the iso from the mac desktop it gives me a warning saying "no mountable file systems" and its over 4 gb btw of an iso. I also couldnt convert it using disk utility. and I cant do anything in first aid in disk utility with my hard drive cause all the options are not highlightable and transparent or blanked out and I cant click on much.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe this can help then:

Btw, no need to convert anything.

As for the rest of your post, it is a bit garbled, thus I do not properly understand it.
    But the above should help, though don't expect fast speeds via NTFS-3G. I think I got around 15MB/s, thus a GB takes a bi longer than a minute to transfer.

10. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Like I said, the big thing right now is getting my hard drive to be able to accept files transfered form my mac not just windows pcs. I cant transfer anything onto it. The circle with line across it always appears.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried that NTFS-3G thing I subtly alluded to?

If I understood correctly, you can't transfer files from Mac OS X to an NTFS formatted HDD while it is connected to your Mac and you are running Mac OS X.
    If that is the case, NTFS-3G can help you, that's why I posted that quote from GGJstudios twice now and even bolded the important part, and also made it red.

12. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Im trying to install those files now but it seems very complicated to use and some linux file downloaded I think. Whyw ould mac osx not allow the use of an external hard drive?

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. The installation routine is quite easy. Just make sure, you download this file:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cat...10.10.2/ntfs-3g-2010.10.2-macosx.dmg/download from http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html

Then:
    [​IMG]

2. NTFS is a Windows file system, Microsoft has its hands on it. Or why can Windows not even read HFS+ formatted volumes?

14. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Ok so after I do that will I be able to drag and drop or will I have to open up that program executive first?

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When you restarted, you will be able to READ and WRITE to NTFS formatted volumes via Finder and any other application, as NTFS-3G (+ MacFuse) are drivers and not an application you have to run to use it.

16. lusso macrumors newbie

iso ntfs

Just to keep this thread surviving till Chrimbo. My back up copy of Snow Leopard is held as an ISO on NTFS Hard Drive. Can I plug my external NTFS Hard Drive via usb to MAC Machine. Then copy the ISO from the NTFS Hard Drive to MAC Machine for burning to a DVD DL Disc ?

17. simsaladimbamba

Yes, as Mac OS X can read NTFS formatted volumes, as noted earlier in the FAQ.