Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dickovski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
OK, I've just bought an Apple TV after many happy years with XBMC on my old Xbox. Managed to install the patchstick thing and have XBMC and Boxee running nicely and streaming stuff from my iMac... however I want to copy all my avi movies (about 50 or so) over on to the Apple TV and play them from there. Is this possible and how do I do it? Can I ftp 'em over?

Also read a bit about Plex, should I be running this instead of XBMC? I love XBMC and can't see why I'd want to use anything else unless someone can tell me something I'm missing.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Yes, you can ftp them, respectively use sftp with a program called "fugu".
The best plugin to use here is "ATVFiles" or "Sapphire"

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Also read a bit about Plex, should I be running this instead of XBMC? I love XBMC and can't see why I'd want to use anything else unless someone can tell me something I'm missing.

Plex is just another flavor of XBMC. If you are comfortable and like XBMC I'd stick with it.

dickovski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
Thanks for replys, I've managed to copy files over now using CyberDuck. However playing them through XBMC they aren't as smooth as they are when played on my Xbox. Not unwatchable but just not as good. Do they need to be encoded in a certain way or do I need to fiddle with the settings in XBMC on the ATV?

I have a Samsung LCD TV if this makes a difference.

dickovski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
Nice one, all working nicely now. Installed Sapphire as well and I think I'll use it instead of XBMC as it seems really streamlined compared to all the stuff on XBMC (weather etc) that I never use!

Thanks again

wattsj

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
London
When you say "make sure you have the latest codecs installed" are you referring to a Mac or the Apple TV?

How do you install additional codecs on the ATV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.