How to copy photos from camera onto the HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bchreng, Apr 14, 2009.

1. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

It seriously can't be this difficult. I have some photos and videos on my digicam that I'd like to put onto my new whitebook. I connected the camera via USB and can preview the pictures via iPhoto. I tried selecting some photos and dragging them onto the desktop but they won't copy over. I can't seem to access the contents of the camera any other way other than iPhoto. I figured it would show up as an external drive or something but it doesn't.

With that said, how do I copy the pictures from my camera onto my computer?

edit: it's from a Canon PS850IS if that helps at all.

2. parish macrumors 65816

parish

I think that the camera will only show up as a mounted disk if it is a USB Mass Storage device. My EOS 400D doesn't which I assume is because it's PTP not USB MS.

Can you not d/l a Mac version of the manufacturer's s/w? I use that to d/l photos from my camera, save them to a folder, then import them into Aperture.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I believe Image Capture.app will allow you to do this. It's in your Utilities folder.

4. bchreng thread starter macrumors 6502a

bchreng

You're right. I wanted to avoid downloading and installing extra software if possible. I just figured out the best workaround for this is to use a memory card reader. I just borrowed the one from my desktop and it shows up as a mass storage device.

Thanks for the help!

mods feel free to close this thread. :)