How to copy photos library?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by FlyingTexan, Aug 22, 2016.

1. FlyingTexan, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

FlyingTexan macrumors member

I have the base A1502 13" rMPB that came with 128GB of HD. I'm pretty low on space so I purchased the icloud 50GB to keep all my photos on. Plus it keeps my iphone free of memory too. I bought a 2GB seagate slim external HD yesterday, have NO idea why I haven't done this before now because I love this thing, and I want to copy everything onto it.

Is there a way to select all the photos in my library and have them download onto the drive? I don't want to put them all on the pc first because it doesn't have the room. This wouldn't have been an issue in the past but my work makes us use dropbox and that's actually taken about 45GB of room. I wanted to have a hard copy so I can access it whenever I want. Edit videos or photos on it, etc. Is that possible? Would it also be possible that anything I edit and keep on the drive could go to the cloud?

***EDIT*** I've realized that I can click "select all" then export to the external HD but then it's just a massive mix of 2800 files since some came from different cameras, etc. Can I select thing by the album and move copies of the albums to the HD so I can have a usable file system?

2. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

If you're worried about space, you can move the Photos library to an external drive and point the Photos app to there. Make sure you set that as the system file in Photos preferences after you've moved it.