How to copy pics from camera to imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ungulate72, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ungulate72 macrumors newbie

I just got my first mac, and the file management is driving me crazy. When I connect my camera with usb, it automatically opens iphoto, but I can't see any icon for the camera on my desktop, and can't see it in Finder. How do I get the mac to show me an icon for my camera, so I can manually download pics to a normal folder?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Image Capture. It's in your /Applications folder.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What brand is your camera?
    Typically the manufacturer offers a software for handling your camera also.
    If you have a card reader/all in one printer with it, you can access it via the Finder.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You could always use iPhoto anyway. It shows what's on your camera's card an you can choose what is download to your Mac. If you then want to put some pictures into a Folder, you can just drag them out of iPhoto.

5. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

It took me quite a bit of time before I got the hang of iPhoto, now that I have, I love it.

It helps to think of the iPhoto library as your entire photo collection, and the various Events as photo albums. You can also create "Albums" based on subject matter, not just based on event chronology. Oh, and your camera roll on your phone is like a film roll in that the photos are sequential on your Camera Roll.

They work sorta like iTunes where the playlist songs are still in the library even though they are organized in playlists.

6. ungulate72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. I still hate iphoto, but image capture is at least a start. The camera is a Nikon coolpix. didn't need to load any software onto my PC to use it, but maybe something is needed for macs??

I still can't see the camera icon on my desktop or find my camera in Finder when I connect it, even though I can get all my pics thru iphoto or image capture. any idea how to see it in Finder?

thanks-
    david

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Best way to do that is use a card reader.

8. Riverrun macrumors regular

Go to Finder Preferences and in the General tab, ensure that the External disks box is ticked.