How to correctly calibrate colour on a 32" LCD TV for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by delude, Apr 28, 2010.

1. delude macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I'm going to try using my 32" LCD TV as a main monitor for my MacBook Pro, I'll see how it goes (it would be great if all works well and I don't have to shell out £500 on an ACD!) but I'd like to make sure that the colours are as accurate as they can be.

So, what's the best way to do this?

Huge thanks in advance for any advice!

2. bmh16 macrumors regular

ha the internet is a small place. Oddly enough would want to know this too anyway tho for 26inch

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

An ACD will have a higher pixel density and better color reproduction than your tv.

That said I guess you can eyeball it.

For my Bravia I calibrated mine using CalMan in Windows via a Spyder2Pro (hardware calibrator), utilizing black/grey samples from the "HD Basics" blu Ray disk. The whole process took about an hour and a Half but my HD contents look real life instead of that blue smurf garbage they have it set to from the factory.

4. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

It is indeed!!
    Yeah an ACD would definitely come out on top, however I have this beasty TV taking up a huge space on my desk and not really doing much. If I could make the colours match that of the 15" screen I'm looking at now then I would be perfectly happy. Is the best way to do this using the 'advanced settings' on the Apple Display Calibrator Assistant? Is there another way?

Thanks!

5. delude thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've just tried 'SuperCal' although I can't get the colours to look as vivid as the MacBook Pro's screen. I'm sure it's achievable, I got closest when simply trying to make the Aurora backgrounds match by playing with the default calibration app.