Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
What is the best material to use for covering up the backlit Apple logo on a BlackBook?

Ideally, I would prefer to use a material that matches the matte black finish of the case.

What method (adhesive, size/shape of material, etc.) do you think is best?

In case anyone wants to know, my reasoning on why I need to cover-up the Apple logo is because have to give presentations, sometimes with the room fully darkened. Even in normal, lighted situations such as in a cafe, I just have a personal preference for a fully black case without any logos.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
A patch might look a bit obvious.

Maybe carefully masking the MacBook, and then with masking film and using a scalpel or sharp hobby knife, cutting out the mask where the Apple logo is, and then spraying it with matt black spray paint. You might need a plastic primer coat first, so it doesn't scratch off so easily or key the surface with a fine sandpaper.

If it was me, and just for the first reason of not wanting a lit logo that interferes with presentations, I would possibly be tempted to disassemble the display and paint the translucent logo with an opaque black paint on the inside, blocking any light spill from the display and ensuring that the outside finish of the logo and case is not compromised.

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
What is the best material to use for covering up the backlit Apple logo on a BlackBook?

Ideally, I would prefer to use a material that matches the matte black finish of the case.

The black Incase cover that I use mutes it down a lot.

lxuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
I had a friend who did the exact same thing because he was always giving presentations. He just took black electrical tape, layed the strips side by side into a little patch, printed out a to scale picture of the apple logo from the case, cut it out exactly, and taped it on. it has never come off since, but isnt super adhesive so it can be removed without problem if he ever needed it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.