How to crash Finder with a single click!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mavis, Oct 27, 2007.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I've discovered that Preview crashes when opening certain Photoshop documents - it appears to be totally random (which PSDs will cause a crash) because the PSDs in question have come from Photoshop on three different machines (two WinXP machines, one iMac) and are of varying sizes, content, etc. In any case, since Preview chokes on these files, it in turn means that QuickView chokes on them, as does CoverFlow. And when either of those crashes, they take Finder with them. So if I make the mistake of enabling CoverFlow in folders containing PSD documents, I'm guaranteed a Finder crash every time. Fun!! :D

Anyway I have zipped up one of the documents for you guys to try out for yourselves. You can download it here. To make your shiny new Leopard Finder crash, simply press spacebar with this PSD selected to view it in QuickView. Once Finder re-launches (on my iMac it's pretty much instantaneous) try opening the file in Photoshop and you'll see that it's just a simple, single-layered image. Nothing fancy at all.

The point of all this is: be careful using CoverFlow in folders containing PSDs! If Finder crashes, you'll know why ;)

2. bubblegum80 macrumors member

Wow, someone who likes their software crashing... :confused:

3. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

ooh ooh can't wait to try leopard on mine...maybe i can crash it WITHOUT clicking! :D

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Shame on Apple for not protecting Finder from some filetypes it can't read. But it is up to Adobe to publish a Photoshop plugin for QuickLook.

5. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, nothing like showing off Leopard to the wife only to have CoverFlow crash repeatedly while showing a folder full of baby pictures ... ;)

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

OMG that other than causing my finder to restart when quick looking that photoshop file it also killed my dock. now i cant get it back lol... when i killall Dock it says No matching processes belonging to you were found

7. bubblegum80 macrumors member

Followed by her blaming it on you, and telling you to read the manual. ;)

8. maharbA macrumors newbie

Thank god someone else has this problem. It's been driving me nuts and nobody is talking about it :mad:

For me, if I'm looking at a folder in any view mode other than list view, Finder crashes/restarts. Preview/QuickLook explains it.

APPLE, PLEASE FIX THIS.

9. OwlMovement macrumors newbie

go into terminal:

cd /Library/Application\ Support
    sudo mv DivXNetworks DivXNetworks.prev