how to create a backup disc? on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sako94, Jul 21, 2009.

1. sako94 macrumors regular

hey guys my friend just uploaded for me a copy of his microsoft xp because he has 5 serials of it and decided to give me one to use for bootcamp

the problem is he told me i need to create it as a backup cd said use powerISO or Alcohol 120

well i downloaded powerISO but im still not sure how you do it

is there any tutorial how to back up the files or is there an program that does it im really confused lol =]

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

To install Windows XP in bootcamp, you have to make a copy of it. For some reason, the original disk won't work. To do this, you can simply make a disk image of it while under Mac OSX, then burn it to a blank DVD.

3. sako94 thread starter macrumors regular

how do i do that?! lol

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

go to disk utility in applications->utilities. Then insert your disc and select it from the menu on the left when it shows up in disc utility.

Then, with the XP install disk still highlighted, select "new image" at the top and save that to your desktop.

Then, after that is done, take out the install disc and insert a blank DVD. In disk utility select "burn" from the top and find the disk image on your desktop and select it.

This will then burn the image to the DVD and you will have a duplicate copy of your original install disk.

Use this disk to install windows with bootcamp assistant which is in the same folder as disk utility in applications->utilities.