How to create a bootable External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Reesche, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Reesche macrumors member

Reesche

Hi you guys... I would like to know how to create a MAC bootable external hard drive to use as backing up my current MacPro laptop with High Sierra.

I have currently backed up my MacPro laptop using Carbon Copy Cloner. (it has everything High Sierra and all my apps)

But If I have something catastrophic happen to my MacPro I do NOT think my 1 GB WD Passport Ultra is actually bootable. Ideally, I would like to be able to boot from this 1GB external drive and clone my system and apps back to the laptop when needed.

Questions: How do I format the 1 GB WD Passport Ultra to be bootable? Also, is this a reformat situation, in that once it is bootable I will have to go back again, and run Carbon Copy Cloner and put everything back onto that external drive?

Thank You!
    Reesche

Attached Files:

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Carbon Copy Cloner will definitely make a bootable clone

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

As MacDawg says, CCC does make a bootable clone of a bootable system -- assuming that you did not change the backup settings in CCC when you backed up your drive. (I think there is a CCC setting that you can turn off, if you don't need a bootable backup. Pretty sure bootable is the normal default, so... )

Quick method to find out if your CCC backup is bootable:
    Try to boot to your CCC backup drive.

4. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

Use CCC 5.1 beta 1 or above.
    Typo, that has to be 1TB

PAartition the 1TB to have CCC volume, Recovery which CCC creates, 2nd CCC that could be system only or data only.

CCC does smart copy of changes.

5. Reesche thread starter macrumors member

Reesche

As usual..... you guys are great!

Booted from my 1gb external and yes it booted!

Thanks for your help you guys!
    Reesche