Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gta1216

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
I would like to create an app for personal use and would only be distributed within my family. I don't need anything fancy. Currently, I'm think just text and maybe some type of link that we can click to call a number.

Is there anyway I can create one for free? I don't mind ads, but prefer no popup ads since some are not very tech savvy.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
You could develop it in Xcode then just deploy the app on each of those devices by plugging them in your development machine.

If you go through the App Store you’ll have to pay the developer’s fee of $99. Not sure if there is an education discount.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I would like to create an app for personal use and would only be distributed within my family. I don't need anything fancy. Currently, I'm think just text and maybe some type of link that we can click to call a number.

Is there anyway I can create one for free?

You can do that with a web page/app/clipping. With a springboard icon. Completely free. Don’t even need the developer program, Xcode or a Mac. Just a temporary web site or server (use your home computer or a Raspberry Pi, etc.)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
A web app or web clipping can have its own custom icon on an iPhone. Just use a manifest.

That's how all iPhone apps were done in iOS 1.0, before the native SDK in iOS 2.0 and later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.