Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I made the same mistake of installing Lion first before making a backup or copy of a clean install. Any idea's on how to get it without Time Machine, etc? Where is the file moved to?

tmp0404

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
PA
So, since my Mac Mini does not have a DVD burner. After I've purchased Lion, and placed the installesd.dmg file on my desktop, can I copy the file to a flash drive, and then take the flash drive and insert it into my Macbook, copy the file to the Macbook, and then make the DVD image as previously mentioned. Please let me know, and thanks for your responses.

talisto

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah I made the same mistake of installing Lion first before making a backup or copy of a clean install. Any idea's on how to get it without Time Machine, etc? Where is the file moved to?

Load up the App Store, and hold down the Option key while you click the "Purchases" tab. The greyed-out "Installed" button should change to an "Install" button, which will let you re-download it.

faffoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Hi there,

I am following these instructions, and have not yet installed lion at all.

I am burning the disk image to disk, but during the burning process it says verification has failed because the disk image is corrupt. Any ideas?

Regards
Matt

mcphee7

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
So basically if you didn't back it up before installing it you've got no chance of doing a clean install at a later date?

Not impressed about this.

Yes you have. You don't need a bootable DVD to do a clean install. There are a number of ways to do it.

I myself will be replacing my stock HDD (with Lion on it) with a new 750gb drive. Obviously the new drive will be blank, so how am I going to get Lion on it without a disk?

I am going to take out my old drive, put it in an enclosure, boot from that drive, press command + r and take the option of installing Lion onto the new drive that is in the machine.

In your case, if you want to do a clean install you would press command + r and just do it from the recovery HD partition.

yomibro

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I also followed the same instructions to create a bootable DVD but it's not bootable :confused:

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
After you had used Disk Utility to burn the MacOSX Install ESD dmg image onto the cd. Take the cd out and pop it right back in. Double click on the cd, a folder will pop up, within it there will be 6 items, click on Install Mac OS X Lion...and off you go...it worked on my mbp. I got my free version from my iMac, i used that version to burn an image before i actually intalled it onto the iMac. Good Luck guys.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
For those that are worried that you can't make a bootable disk because the Lion installer was removed once the upgrade completed, you can VERY easily re-download the installer from the Mac App Store.

Just hold the alt/option key, click on the Mac App Store icon to launch it and continue to hold the alt/option key. Locate Lion within the App Store and find the "Install" button and click it. Done, you can re-download the file so you can use it to make a boot up disk.

I haven't made a boot up disk yet so I don't know if it works, but I know you can re-download the installer at the very least!

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
is it possible to do an Upgrade on a boot disk instead of a clean install? like just pop in the disc and click the installation app inside the disc? from Snow Leopard otherwise...

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
how can i download the file again to get access to the show package contents menu?
It's two posts above yours. If you missed it, here it is again.

For those that are worried that you can't make a bootable disk because the Lion installer was removed once the upgrade completed, you can VERY easily re-download the installer from the Mac App Store.

Just hold the alt/option key, click on the Mac App Store icon to launch it and continue to hold the alt/option key. Locate Lion within the App Store and find the "Install" button and click it. Done, you can re-download the file so you can use it to make a boot up disk.

I haven't made a boot up disk yet so I don't know if it works, but I know you can re-download the installer at the very least!

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011

I already have my backup, but i wanted to try this to see if it would work. It did not. Lion OS within the app store does not have an install (price) button, it says that mine is "installed"...i clicked on that and nothing happened.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
I already have my backup, but i wanted to try this to see if it would work. It did not. Lion OS within the app store does not have an install (price) button, it says that mine is "installed"...i clicked on that and nothing happened.

LOL ok ok.
I'll make it easier for you to see, step-by-step what to do.

Just hold the alt/option key, click on the Mac App Store icon to launch it and continue to hold the alt/option key. Locate Lion within the App Store and find the "Install" button and click it WHILE STILL HOLDING THE ALT/OPTION KEY! Done, you can re-download the file so you can use it to make a boot up disk.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I made a boot disk and when trying to install from that, it fails saying it needs to download additional components and is unable. I do have my wifi configured though so that should be fine

Any ideas?

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
When I boot from the self-made USB stick, ever since the GM I get a no-parking sign and it won't boot...

Any ideas?

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
When I boot from the self-made USB stick, ever since the GM I get a no-parking sign and it won't boot...

Any ideas?

Gonna answer myself here: The trick is that you have to choose a volume in Disk Utility to restore the DMG to, not an entire disk (e.g. the entire stick)!!!

Last edited:

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Does it matter if DVD is a +R or a -R?

When creating a bootable DVD, does it matter if DVD is a +R or a -R? A MacLife article says a -R is required, while other articles don't mention any requirement.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
When creating a bootable DVD, does it matter if DVD is a +R or a -R? A MacLife article says a -R is required, while other articles don't mention any requirement.

Doesn't matter, the image is by far smaller than 4.3 GB and the only difference is a very small space difference between + and -.

iL15hts

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

JamesM said:
trfjason said:
Yes, the installer gets deleted after the installation. I used Time Machine to backup my whole system right before I installed Lion and also copy the installation package to a USB.

Once you finished downloading Lion, it should appear in your Applications folder.

Make sure you backup the installation package before you install or else you won't have a chance to back up it later.

So basically if you didn't back it up before installing it you've got no chance of doing a clean install at a later date?

Not impressed about this.

No need to download again after the update. Lion makes another partition called "Recovery HD", from there you can reinstall lion again

macmongral

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011
yep and you can do a clean install from there as you have DU to erase the partition that holds the OS

its not rocket science search and read its been over a month that this forum has discussed all that people are now discovering along with all the answers to all your ills

the OS is fine its the hacks and anther software ( not apples) that cause 99% of the trouble ,hen people blame the OS not the hack or other software, get a grip and hit the suppliers of the software they have had the DP ... to sort it out if they have not its their problem not Apples

every new generation of people re invent the world what happened in the sixties Sex Drugs And Rock and Roll ,the current generation now have discovered the very same and claim its their discovery.

ticman

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2009
CT
not getting "show Package Contents" option

I d/l Lion last night 7/23

I did not install

It's in my program file but only says Install Mac OS X Lion : It does not have .app extension if that's a problem

I right click on the install lion icon AND AUTOMATICALLY GET THE INSTALL SCREEN. I do not get the drop down box with "options" and therefore cannot continue to create a bootable dvd

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
lol..no can do.
Anyone else got this method working?

Yes, got it to work. Lion redownloading now. You have to follow the directions precisely as what you initially think you should do is not what you should do. It isn't pushing "install" with the option, but pushing purchases with the option button pressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.