Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Sunny

macrumors member
Original poster
I'm returning to Mac after a 20 year hiatus and so far I LOVE it:D

But I'm having a trivial issue.

I created 4 mail boxes on my iMac MAIL screen. The 2 mailboxes from AOL have independent lists of folders which are Saved, Sent, Spam, and Voicemail, but my personal website (http://www.bluefrags.com) webmail JoePeck(notreallY)@bluefrags.com (an IMAP) is simply listed under the primary Inbox with no sub folders.

How do I move my JoePeck(notreally)@bluefrags.com mailbox to an independent list with its own Saved folder?

Thanks to any that may help.

iMac
OS X
MAIL 2.1.1

Joe

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
first of all, rename your email address to some dummy address if you do not wish to receive lots of spam in the near future...

As far as the folder goes; with IMAP you can normally make whatever folders you like in your inbox. You can drag and drop all email you like into that folder. Is this what you mean?

Or do you want several email servers defined below eachother? Just like like outlook does. I have not tried this in my Apple Mail yet as I let my linux server harvest all email from my different email accounts (fetchmail / maildir / procmail). A friend of mine uses Entourage specifically for this purpose though... The nice extra with Entourage is that it can access OWE (Outlook Web Access) as well.

2Sunny

macrumors member
Original poster
Half never mind.

O.K. so now I feel stupid because I read a thread on POP mail, and figured out that all I had to do was double click on the account to show the server folders, BUT I would still like to have the account show up in a independent list like my AOL accounts do.

So my new question is how do I make my JoePeck(notreally)@bluefrags.com mailbox into its own mailbox?

Thanks again,

Joe

2Sunny

macrumors member
Original poster
Thanks 4np!

Nothing like the power of the internet for getting fast answers :eek:

Or do you want several email servers defined below eachother?

Yes that's what I want. Are you suggesting I use a different program for mail?

As far as the folder goes; with IMAP you can normally make whatever folders you like in your inbox.

Now I'm back to my original question because I was just reading mail in my POP account (account number 4) and wanted to save a purchase receipt, but the only folder I could put it into was the "Saved" folder from my IMAP account. Can't I have a "Saved" folder for my POP account as well?

Joe

2Sunny

macrumors member
Original poster
Bump.

On my IMAP accounts I imported the folders that came with the accounts which included "Saved" folders, but I still have not figured out how to save mail on my POP account. Why can't I just create a folder and drag and drop the messages? What am I doing wrong? Also are those IMAP folders actually on my computer or when I drag and drop email into them is webmail moving the messages into the folders on the remote servers? I want copies on my computer not the server.

Help me obiwan; you're my only hope . . .

Joe

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
On my IMAP accounts I imported the folders that came with the accounts which included "Saved" folders, but I still have not figured out how to save mail on my POP account. Why can't I just create a folder and drag and drop the messages? What am I doing wrong? Also are those IMAP folders actually on my computer or when I drag and drop email into them is webmail moving the messages into the folders on the remote servers? I want copies on my computer not the server.

Help me obiwan; you're my only hope . . .

Joe

The only place you can save mail from a POP account is in a local folder on your mac, you can't save in back to the POP server. When you select New Folder in mail you get a choice of where to put it, usually the locations listed are any IMAP servers you have or 'on your mac'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.