How to create a social website?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by applewins, Apr 27, 2012.

1. applewins macrumors member

Hi everyone

I was wondering how to create a website such as "Youtube" or "Facebook", on which everybody can register an account, log-in and post some stuff like videos, text or pictures.

- What kind of program do you need (or recommend) to build such a website?
    - What would be the easiest way to host this website (buy my own small server?)

I know already a little about website-building, but I've never found any program offering those features (log-in zone + account, etc.)

Thanks for your help ;)

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Simplest way is to use forum software - something like Invision Power Board or vBulletin (both commercial - there are free alternatives though).

Next is to arrange hosting. If the site is small, shared hosting will be okay. If it's likely to be busy, then a dedicated server is going to be required. You'll need recent versions of both SQL and PHP to get started, but most hosts offer those options these days unless you're going for real bargain basement hosting.

3. reedmartin macrumors regular

If you or anyone you here needs cheap hosting let me know! OP you can install a variety of cms type software which will give you the functionality you need. joomla, drupal, WordPress to name a few

4. shakeelahsan, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

shakeelahsan macrumors newbie

shakeelahsan

5. bronxred, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013

bronxred macrumors member

bronxred

Sounds incredibly ambitious. How did it go?

If you need CMS [Content Management System] hosting, I've played with Joomla and Drupal at Dreamhost, who I love. Have been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind.

You have to realize you're not gonna create the new Facebook out of it. They use incredibly expensive custom-built software that they're always refining. But Dreamhost does have all the usual "unlimited" stuff and a great control panel with ONE-CLICK CMS installation (your choice of many).

Jake :D