Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I am at my wits end.. im trying to play world of warcraft but im behind a firewall router which i can not switch off. i was told that i had to create a static IP in order to port forward. how can i do this??

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Go to System Preferences and look under Internet & Networking for Network and select it. Then change it from DHCP to Manual and enter the address you want.

20080102-gicpr86r7dinrqmt2nbcnh7ijs.jpg

Hope that helps.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Go to System Preferences and look under Internet & Networking for Network and select it. Then change it from DHCP to Manual and enter the address you want.

Hope that helps.

thanks, i've done that, but now i can only go to the http address of my internet router, but not access the internet.

what am i doing wrong?

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
What is your router address? Are you using WiFi or not? I'm assuming you are.
I personally use DHCP With manual address. If your router address is 192.168.1.1 then change the manual address to 192.168.1.101. Does that make sense at all? I have screenshots but I put settings on them for someone else.

Here are settings:
* IP address. This should be the same as the router address but the last digit you change to 101.
* Subnet - 255.255.255.0
*Router - type in router address

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
You shouldn't need to use a static local ip address and port forward unless you are running a game server.

However, if WOW needs to be set up this way for some strange reason, do the following:

1. Using normal DHCP, find out what your local assigned ip address is (e.g. 192.168.1.10)
  2. Change to 'DHCP with manual IP' - enter the ip address from step 1 (router, subnet mask and default gateway settings are automatically set up from DHCP)
  3. Now log onto your router and configure port forwarding, ensuring you have entered the required ports needed for this game to forward to the ip address in step 1

If you are not sure how to configure port forwarding, Google for the term.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
What is your router address? Are you using WiFi or not? I'm assuming you are.
I personally use DHCP With manual address. If your router address is 192.168.1.1 then change the manual address to 192.168.1.101. Does that make sense at all? I have screenshots but I put settings on them for someone else.

Here are settings:
* IP address. This should be the same as the router address but the last digit you change to 101.
* Subnet - 255.255.255.0
*Router - type in router address

my router address is 192.168.1.254

what sould i type into my static ip?

im just trying to get WoW started

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
You shouldn't need to use a static local ip address and port forward unless you are running a game server.

However, if WOW needs to be set up this way for some strange reason, do the following:

1. Using normal DHCP, find out what your local assigned ip address is (e.g. 192.168.1.10)
  2. Change to 'DHCP with manual IP' - enter the ip address from step 1 (router, subnet mask and default gateway settings are automatically set up from DHCP)
  3. Now log onto your router and configure port forwarding, ensuring you have entered the required ports needed for this game to forward to the ip address in step 1

If you are not sure how to configure port forwarding, Google for the term.

unfortunately,, i have tried that as mentioned here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/461064.html

its still not connecting.. only when the actual router firewall is turned off. im just fuming and ready to smash the router.

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
my router address is 192.168.1.254

what sould i type into my static ip?

im just trying to get WoW started
Oh, um, I've never known a router IP to be that high. What router do you have? Can you change the router IP address at all? I.e. I have a Linksys router and I can change it to your number and back again. Don't change anything though yet, just let me know the brand and model number and I'll get looking for you. Do you know what your IP address is right now with you being able to connect to the internet?

[edit] you will be able to see your IP address in system preferences > network > click what you are using (airport or ethernet) it will say on right... "AirPort is connected to SkyBB and has the IP address 192.168.1.xx" Please let me know what yours says and will use that.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Oh, um, I've never known a router IP to be that high. What router do you have? Can you change the router IP address at all? I.e. I have a Linksys router and I can change it to your number and back again. Don't change anything though yet, just let me know the brand and model number and I'll get looking for you. Do you know what your IP address is right now with you being able to connect to the internet?

thank you for helping!

my router is a Billion BiPac 7240L

im not sure how to change that address

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
thank you for helping!

my router is a Billion BiPac 7240L

im not sure how to change that address
That's OK I just saw where you can see your current IP address. I was editing my post at the same time as you posted so will post my edit again with a screen cap.

You will be able to see your IP address in system preferences > network > click what you are using (airport or ethernet) it will say on right... "AirPort is connected to SkyBB and has the IP address 192.168.1.xx" Please let me know what yours says and will use that.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 79

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
That's OK I just saw where you can see your current IP address. I was editing my post at the same time as you posted so will post my edit again with a screen cap.

You will be able to see your IP address in system preferences > network > click what you are using (airport or ethernet) it will say on right... "AirPort is connected to SkyBB and has the IP address 192.168.1.xx" Please let me know what yours says and will use that.

Ok, I have this

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 78

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Ok, I have this
Thanks for that. Is that after you press the 'advanced' button? Do you have anything like this picture at all?

StaticMac10.4NetworkStatus.jpg

If you look at that picture it shows the IP address of that person. I was wondering does yours say anything like that at all?

I have very little experience with Ethernet :( Although I would imagine that it would be the same as router Airport config

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for that. Is that after you press the 'advanced' button? Do you have anything like this picture at all?

StaticMac10.4NetworkStatus.jpg

If you look at that picture it shows the IP address of that person. I was wondering does yours say anything like that at all?

yes, i originally have this one.. the pic before was after i click on 'configure'

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
OK try this then. Take a note of your 'automatic' settings just in case you need to revert back if you should not connect. Just click advanced again in the Ethernet settings and do the following settings:

Configure: Using DHCP with Manual address
IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (this is the IP address your currently connected to)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.254

I really hope that works, I have my fingers crossed for you.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
That's pretty much what I said, so we're on the right track.

I doubt this alone will work as your not really changing anything except how the Mac requests an IP address the net time it is restarted/wakes up.

I think you have something mis-configured on your router...

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
OK try this then. Take a note of your 'automatic' settings just in case you need to revert back if you should not connect. Just click advanced again in the Ethernet settings and do the following settings:

Configure: Using DHCP with Manual address
IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (this is the IP address your currently connected to)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.254

I really hope that works, I have my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for the time you put in, much appreciated. Unfortunately I have no internet activity on those settings, I can only communicate with the router.. I think I will buy a new one, I can't wait to smash it up, it has stolen hours from my life which I will never get back.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
In that case, I recommend a LinkSys - they are part of Cisco and have a large following so you can get a lot of help from users in your situation. In my experience, I'd avoid Netgear.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
That's pretty much what I said, so we're on the right track.

I doubt this alone will work as your not really changing anything except how the Mac requests an IP address the net time it is restarted/wakes up.

I think you have something mis-configured on your router...

the router works fine. its just that i am unable to use certain programs such as messenger, thunderbird and WoW when the firewall settings are on low or medium. when the firewall (router) is off, everything works fine. but other people on the network grill me about their credit card details getting stolen etc..

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
the router works fine. its just that i am unable to use certain programs such as messenger, thunderbird and WoW when the firewall settings are on low or medium. when the firewall (router) is off, everything works fine. but other people on the network grill me about their credit card details getting stolen etc..

Well in that case, it sounds like you are restricting OUTBOUND firewall traffic (which is not really necessary in most cases). Restricting INBOUND traffic is what you should be concerned with for protecting your network.

For your gaming purposes, you should consider opening the ports OUTBOUND for the ports required for the specific game - you will not need to change your Mac's network settings for this. For running a games SERVER however, you will need a static ip address and open the required ports OUTBOUND and INBOUND on the firewall, but as I said, I don't think this is applicable in your case.

In terms of credit card details getting stolen etc. A firewall isn't really going to do much to avoid that. Most of the time, such privacy information is gained by phishing e-mails and websites that firewalls cannot protect from.

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Thanks for the time you put in, much appreciated. Unfortunately I have no internet activity on those settings, I can only communicate with the router.. I think I will buy a new one, I can't wait to smash it up, it has stolen hours from my life which I will never get back.
That's OK. I'm sorry I could not fix the issue :( I have very little experiance with Ethernet as all of mine are connect WiFi. As a temporary measure you could open your port to 192.168.1.1 (your current IP address) but it might change automatically each time you start up your computer, unlikely but might. Good luck.

In that case, I recommend a LinkSys - they are part of Cisco and have a large following so you can get a lot of help from users in your situation. In my experience, I'd avoid Netgear.
I second that. I use a Linksys also and have had absolutely no problems with it. I have 8 internet devices from my Mac, PC's and DS Lites and every single one is connected via a static connected. I've had no problems at all.

--
Oh and while I'm still here. You may need this in the future if you get a new routers etc, so I thought I'd link to it now: http://portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Well in that case, it sounds like you are restricting OUTBOUND firewall traffic (which is not really necessary in most cases). Restricting INBOUND traffic is what you should be concerned with for protecting your network.

For your gaming purposes, you should consider opening the ports OUTBOUND for the ports required for the specific game - you will not need to change your Mac's network settings for this. For running a games SERVER however, you will need a static ip address and open the required ports OUTBOUND and INBOUND on the firewall, but as I said, I don't think this is applicable in your case.

In terms of credit card details getting stolen etc. A firewall isn't really going to do much to avoid that. Most of the time, such privacy information is gained by phishing e-mails and websites that firewalls cannot protect from.

ok, can i set that up in the port forwarding/virtual server aspect of my router setup?

for wow, blizzard say to open port 3724, which I have done, but still nothing..
do i need a bigger range??? :confused:

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
That's OK. I'm sorry I could not fix the issue :( I have very little experiance with Ethernet as all of mine are connect WiFi. As a temporary measure you could open your port to 192.168.1.1 (your current IP address) but it might change automatically each time you start up your computer, unlikely but might. Good luck.

I second that. I use a Linksys also and have had absolutely no problems with it. I have 8 internet devices from my Mac, PC's and DS Lites and every single one is connected via a static connected. I've had no problems at all.

--
Oh and while I'm still here. You may need this in the future if you get a new routers etc, so I thought I'd link to it now: http://portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm

hey! no problem, appreciate any help right now :)

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I personally would have gone onto the router web interface and get the mac address of the mac, give it a static ip address via dhcp.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I personally would have gone onto the router web interface and get the mac address of the mac, give it a static ip address via dhcp.

how do i do that??

i did get a mac address from the router and its 00:16:cb:96:51:74.. where should i paste that to??

cheers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.