how to create a VirtualMachine for 10.2-10.4 on Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thecousin, Dec 9, 2009.

1. thecousin macrumors newbie

thecousin

Hey guys

I'd like to know;
    Is there any application that allows me to install an older version of Mac OS X as a VM on 10.6 Snow Leopard ? I know it's not possible to install an older version of Mac OS on a brand new macintosh so I would like to create a VM or something like that.

Thank you for reading!
    TheCousin :apple:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's basically against the EULA so I'm not sure if there will be too much help here. I'd suggest you google it, as you can find plenty of resources dedicated to this out on the intarweb.

Personally, I'd say its not worth it. The performance penalty on running OSX (depending on your hardware) in a VM is pretty high. Stability is another issue as well.

3. thecousin thread starter macrumors newbie

thecousin

Sorry! Didn't know that :confused:
    Why is it illegal? I mean; Run a Mac OS on a Apple Macintosh System is legal. So why I'm not allowed to run an older version as a VM ?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Have you read Apple's EULA in full? It forbids running ANY client version of Mac OS X in a VM, even on a Mac, and all server versions prior to 10.6.0 on a Mac, and ALL server versions on non-Macs.

5. thecousin thread starter macrumors newbie

thecousin

that's what maflynn allready said... You just repeated it :cool:
    So I know it's illegal but what about a guy who needs an older version of Mac OS X without having an old PPC-Macintosh system ? o_O
    Are there any other opportunities for me?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Without disregarding the EULA and potentially sidestepping anything Parallels or VMWare may have done to prevent you breaking the EULA? No.

7. thecousin thread starter macrumors newbie

thecousin

So I have to buy an old mac to run an old Mac OS ? :confused:
    That's not fair Apple... And without creating a VM... Is there another way to run an older Mac OS on a legal way on my Intel Mac ? :eek:

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. It's that simple.

9. thecousin thread starter macrumors newbie

thecousin

-.-

10. thecousin thread starter macrumors newbie

thecousin

11. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Running Snow Leopard implies you have an Intel Mac. The first OS X version available for Intel was 10.4, so virtualization will never allow you to run 10.3 or lower. For that, you would be in the same boat as PPC Mac owners were in when wanting to run Windows... you need a (PPC) emulator. I use SheepShaver to run OS9, but have no idea if it can run X. To run virtualized 10.4 or 10.5 you would have to turn to the same place as the Hackintoshers do, but I have seen both versions running as VMware virtual machines that would run under Fusion so it can be done. Or you can install in a separate partition, dual boot, and manually figure out what drivers you need to install to support your hardware that didn't exist when 10.4 and 10.5 came out.

12. thecousin thread starter macrumors newbie

thecousin

Okay, thanks to everybody! I'll try to install 10.4 (intel-version) on a Fusion VM. I hope it will work :rolleyes: