how to create bluray to view on ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrdinh, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mrdinh macrumors regular

what software do you all use? of course i'm using a mac...
    thanks

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Ok well mac's cant play Blu Ray so your out of luck. Your best bet would be to rip the blu ray with 1080p resolution and then put it on your iPad. Sort of pointless given the res. of the iPad screen, but to each his own. Also worth noting the rip will likely be ~4+GBs.

3. Catch macrumors 6502

External/Internal BluRay player --> Make MKV to rip BluRay to disk --> HandBrake to convert the .MKV file to iPod/phone/pad.

Sounds complicated but is very easy. Cost of BluRay player may be harder... Obviously you should only do this to backup your files etc etc...

C

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have converted BluRay>720p video on my iPad2 and play it with AVPlayerHD and it plays perfectly and looks stunning on the iPad2 display...
    **WARNING**
    These are BIG files often as large as 4GB+, so a 64GB iPad is preferable if you're going to add more than just a couple...
    Now, a good DVD rip will look nearly as good on the iPad2...just sayin' :)

5. MassacrMan macrumors member

I often use the digital copy that comes with Blu Ray movies these days and load that on my iPad, I'm not sure if it's the full 1080p video quality. But, it still looks and sounds superb!

6. taipan61 macrumors 6502

lol...i was just going to say this

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Not all blue ray movies come with the option to download a digital copy though.

8. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

You can rip the Blu Ray, but note it can't be done on a Mac (yet..).

Also, 720pRes is great and I'm sure it DOES look great on the iPad but the iPad's screen cannot display that resolution. Basically you end up with a 4GB file when you could have gotten away with a ~1GB file. Seems silly to waste all that space for a rip that won't look much/any different than a 1GB one.

9. Foxile macrumors regular

You CAN rip Blu-Ray on Mac.

Like someone said earlier in the thread. MakeMKV gives you a full rip, which you can then use Handbrake to shrink down to a reasonable size for iPad playback.