How to create bootable clone?

ahmadof

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
I have several macs that I want to backup (create bootable clones). I can see how I use disk utility to restore to a hard drive and that works well, but one clone takes over the entire hard drive (Mirrors it). I would like to be able to create a file (? Disk image) of the bootable copy so that I can store multiple computer clones on the same HD. Is this possible? Do I need to use something like Chronosync or Carbon copy cloner?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
You will need a separate volume (partition) for each clone. So just create a partition for each machine you want to clone, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to create the clones on their respective partitions.

ahmadof

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Can you partition a drive "on the fly" , or do you have to plan ahead as to how many computers you want to back up to that drive and create that many partitions?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Can you partition a drive "on the fly" , or do you have to plan ahead as to how many computers you want to back up to that drive and create that many partitions?
You can add partitions as you go.

ahmadof

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Thanks , I will try today. Can you create a partition on the same drive being cloned and exclude it, then move it over to the NAS drive?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Thanks , I will try today. Can you create a partition on the same drive being cloned and exclude it, then move it over to the NAS drive?
I have actually never cloned a drive, so I don't know. But if you crate a disk image you can just move it over without any problems.