How to create bootable clone?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ahmadof, Aug 14, 2012.

1. ahmadof macrumors member

I have several macs that I want to backup (create bootable clones). I can see how I use disk utility to restore to a hard drive and that works well, but one clone takes over the entire hard drive (Mirrors it). I would like to be able to create a file (? Disk image) of the bootable copy so that I can store multiple computer clones on the same HD. Is this possible? Do I need to use something like Chronosync or Carbon copy cloner?

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

You will need a separate volume (partition) for each clone. So just create a partition for each machine you want to clone, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to create the clones on their respective partitions.

3. ahmadof thread starter macrumors member

Can you partition a drive "on the fly" , or do you have to plan ahead as to how many computers you want to back up to that drive and create that many partitions?

4. hafr macrumors 68030

You can add partitions as you go.

5. ahmadof thread starter macrumors member

Thanks , I will try today. Can you create a partition on the same drive being cloned and exclude it, then move it over to the NAS drive?

6. hafr macrumors 68030

I have actually never cloned a drive, so I don't know. But if you crate a disk image you can just move it over without any problems.