Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvencius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I have a Seagate 250 GB external HDD attached to my MBP that I've partitioned 120GB/~112GB and I'd like to create a bootable full backup of my internal HD in the 120 GB partition but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. I tried "Create New Image" of the Macintosh HD using Disk Utility but it quit just a few seconds in saying "Resource In Use" and now I'm stumped (switched to Mac 2 days ago so please forgive my noobishness).

TIA,
John

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Get SuperDuper. The free version will create an identical clone of your system drive onto another drive.

I have an internal backup copy, and two external. I can boot from any of them and they all are mirrors of my main. FireWire800, of course.

jvencius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Get SuperDuper. The free version will create an identical clone of your system drive onto another drive.

I have an internal backup copy, and two external. I can boot from any of them and they all are mirrors of my main. FireWire800, of course.

Cool--thanks. Googling "SuperDuper" should turn up a download site, correct?

jvencius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007

Done--I'm backing up my internal HD now. Compared to Windows, that was about the easiest program install I've ever done and it's a helluva good thing for my peace of mind to know that I've got a bootable external clone now. Thanks a bunch.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Don't be too confident, sometimes SuperDuper clones will accidently sleep with your wife. Mac's aren't perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.