how to create bootable USB from ISO, windows and linux

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by edwinx, Mar 21, 2018.

1. edwinx macrumors member

Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble creating bootable USB flash drives from Windows or Linux ISO files.

after I create the USB drive, they are not bootable. I end up have to re-do the process but in Windows using a different utility.

What am I doing wrong?

This is one of the guides that I followed but still did not work for me: https://blog.tinned-software.net/create-bootable-usb-stick-from-iso-in-mac-os-x/

and I am trying to put this ISO onto a USB drive: https://gbatemp.net/threads/medicat-dvd-a-multiboot-linux-dvd.361577/

can someone try it out and help me out with this?

Thanks,

2. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

If you're doing it on Windows, I like ISOtoUSB. I actually have several apps for this same function on my work PC..

3. edwinx thread starter macrumors member

I will try but why doesn't DD work?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2018 ---
    I was hoping to use the first party utils in MacOS

4. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

Not sure. Your link is 5 years old, so maybe newer versions of MacOS handle the task differently?

5. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Trying to boot the USB on something other than a Mac? Per the man page for hdutil, UDRW is just another name for Apple's DMG format. It appears you want to try UDTO (DVD/CD-R master for export) instead.

The instructions in the link appear to be for creating a stick that can boot on a Mac.

6. edwinx thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. I will try that tonight. would UDTO be the same for Linux and Windows? or how would I know what format the ISO is in so that I can choose the correct option?