How To Create Dock Icon & Assign It a URL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Aug 13, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm a fan of Google though the only desktop dock icon i know google has is of Google Docs so people can easily access it.

Say I find a Gmail icon online. Can I save it an place it on the dock, with assigning it a URL so when I click on it it'll take me directly to my Gmail, rather than opening up Firefox and so fourth?

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I know this is possible with a program, although I've forgotten it's name. I tried it once and it works but i thought it was lame so i never kept it. But it is possible!

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Go to google mail in your web browser. Drag the icon from the address bar to your desktop. Select the resultant shortcut and hit CMD-I. Paste the icon you want into the icon area in the info dialog.

Move the shortcut you now have on your desktop to somewhere safe in your home folder. Drag it to your dock. Job done.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Try Fluid or if you have Firefox, trism or prism or something like that. or you can download Safari 4 Dev Preview, its free to download. just googled safari 4 developer preview and download it from developer.apple.com. Safari 4.0 has this new web application feature, in the file menu.

5. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

As SnowLeopard2008 mentioned, this is best ;)

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, Tersono's solution is by far the best, because the OP doesn't need to have a separate application launch just to get his mail. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the idea of webmail.

jW

7. Xavier macrumors 68020

Ya, just save the site from your browser and changes its icon with whatever you can find online. Very simple, very easy.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Use Safari 4 Dev Preview, it's got the most natural feel and integration into OSX.