How to create .iso image compatible with Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fscarpa, Nov 25, 2008.

1. fscarpa macrumors regular

Is it possible to create an .iso image and have it compatible with Windows? How can I do this?

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

In Disk Utility, use "MS-DOS (FAT)" as volume format. MBR partition map should work. Give the generated image file the extension .iso instead of .dmg. The file -should- then work easily with Windows.

3. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

How do I chose the volume format? After I click on "New Image", I'm supposed to chose Imagem Format (read-only / compressed / read-write or DVD-CD master) and Encryption (128 bit or 256 bit). I can't find "volume format" or anything about "partition map".

4. belvdr macrumors 601

Think he was accidentally talking about hard drives.

Just select DVD-CD master and use no encryption. I believe you can just rename it from .cdr to .iso and it will mount. It's been awhile since I've done this, but I believe that's right.

5. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

It didn't work for me. When I copy the "iso" file to the PC, Windows recognises it as a RAR file, even named as .iso
    Any other idea?

6. belvdr macrumors 601

After transferring, what are you doing with it on Windows? Just double-clicking it?

You either need to burn it or use something like Alcohol 120% to mount it on a virtual CD/DVD drive.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

8. fscarpa thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, belvdr, it works fine!
    And thanks mkrishnan. DMGConverter does the job, too.