How to create Mavericks bootable disk?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JLEW700, Oct 25, 2013.

1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to create a bootable disc rather than a usb drive for installing Mavericks?

2. tywebb13, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

I'm not sure about a DVD. Even if it is possible, it would be very slow.

You can make a partition instead if you want and make a bootable installer there instead of a usb.

An advantage doing it this way is that it should be faster than a usb - and MUCH faster than a DVD.

Disadvantage is that it reduces the size of your partition you will be installing mavericks to.

That's why I prefer the usb. Also, a usb can format the whole drive if you need to.

Of course if you have an external hard drive, you can do it there instead and it will not reduce the size of your partition you install mavericks to - and it will be able to format the whole drive.

3. crjackson2134, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I've found 2 methods but I've not tested either. The second method is reported to work well, but as before, I've not tested it

Right-click on the Mavericks download file, and select "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up menu.

Expand the Content folder in the new Finder windows

Open the SharedSupport folder.

The Lion Mavericks (disk image) is in the SharedSupport folder; the file is called InstallESD.dmg

Right-click the InstallESD.dmg file, and select "Copy" from the pop-up menu.

Right-click in a blank area of the desktop, and select "Paste Item" from the pop-up menu.

Launch Disk Utility, located at /Applications/Utilities.

Click the Burn button in the Disk Utility window.

Select the file you copied to your desktop as the image to burn, then click the Burn button.

Pop a blank DVD-DL into your Mac's optical drive and click the Burn button again.

The resulting DVD will be a bootable copy of OS X Mavericks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Mount the installer image
    hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

# Convert the boot image to a sparse bundle
    hdiutil convert /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/Mavericks

# Increase the sparse bundle capacity to accommodate the packages
    hdiutil resize -size 8g /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

# Mount the sparse bundle for package addition
    hdiutil attach /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

# Remove Package link and replace with actual files
    rm /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/Packages
    cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/

# Unmount the installer image
    hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

# Unmount the sparse bundle
    hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_build

# Resize the partition in the sparse bundle to remove any free space
    hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

# Convert the sparse bundle to ISO/CD master
    hdiutil convert /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/Mavericks

# Remove the sparse bundle
    rm /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

# Rename the ISO and move it to the desktop
    mv /tmp/Mavericks.cdr ~/Desktop/Mavericks.iso

4. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Copy and Paste :)

You'lll want to use the Mavericks not Lion, that is unless you want a Lion Bootable Installer.

If you want to make it easy, go to http://liondiskmaker.com and download DiskMakerX. (DiskMakerX is formally known as LionDiskMaker.

5. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Fixed the Lion/Mavericks oversight.

DiskMaker X won't make an image burnabale to DVD-DL iso .

Also, diskMaker X doesn't always create a bootable USB drive. It's failed on me several times and I've had to make mine using terminal commands.

6. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

This works!

Just burn the resulting Mavericks.iso file to a dual layer DVD with Disk Utility.

Complicated - but I now have a bootable installer for mavericks on DVD.

Except that it does not install a recovery partition.

There are several methods available to manually create one, but the easiest is to download and uncompress https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13872235/Musings/Recovery Partition Creator 3.7.zip and run the script file.

Just make sure you still have the Install OS X Mavericks.app file. If not, redownload from the Purchases tab in the Mac App Store.

7. crjackson2134, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Glad it worked out.

It would be great if someone could turn this into a script and include the restore partition script for an all in one solution.

8. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

'

OK, not sure if I missed that part. I thought you wanted to make a bootable USB.

LionDiskMaker aka DiskMakerX worked for me, however my USB Thumbdrive is slow as heck.

9. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I did want a bootable USB and DVD too. DiskMakerX failed me about 5 times. I gave up and used the terminal method which worked perfectly the first time.

I later found the above directions at another website and made myself a bootable DVD for Archival use and back-up.

Too bad DiskMakerX couldn't get the job done for me but doesn't matter. There's always another way when using Unix.

10. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Hmmmm.... That is a shame that the DVD doesn't have the recovery partition creator included. I'm sure it can't be too difficult, I'll look around for a method, if you find one, please post back here with the updated details. There's plenty of room on an 8GB DVD, so that shouldn't be an issue.

11. thewonker macrumors newbie

Can this work with a flash drive? I can't find a dual layer DVD anywhere and all my DVD+Rs don't have nearly enough storage.

12. simsaladimbamba

No, you have to use this method instead. Or use Disk Maker X, and if you have a problem, just email the programmer, he wrote back within three minutes and helped me troubleshoot and see my ignorance (making it run ON OS X 10.10 Yosemite).