How to create OSX bootable USB drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacNoobGuy, Sep 8, 2013.

1. MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

hey guys I'm running OSX Lion and i want to create a bootable USB drive.

could anyone tell me how to create a bootable USB drive in case something goes wrong with my Mac? i need an official link from Apple.

thank you!

2. simsaladimbamba

Why do you need an official link when all the available guides just a proper www search away are just as helpful?

And do you want a bootable clone of your current OS X installation or do you want a bootable OS X installer? It is not really clear from your post.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

For what it's worth, I've used Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable USB copy of my boot drive. I placed a sufficiently sized sata drive into an external USB enclosure, formatted it correctly, ran CCC and was able to boot from the external.

Is that what you're wanting to do?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I see from your previous posts you have a 2011 Mac Mini. That machine's firmware has a function called Internet Recovery that will allow the machine to boot even with a new, blank hard drive installed. From this recovery screen you can redownload the OS from Apple onto the new drive. So you don't really need to have a USB key with the OS installer on it.

If it just makes you feel better to have the installer, you can grab it using this process, then use Lion Diskmaker and 8GB USB key to make a full installer.

Or, if you are using a local USB disk with Time Machine for backups, you can option key boot to that backup disk and do a full restore to a new, blank disk from there.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I prefer the bootable clone method, which you can create via SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner. Either one will create a bootable osx

6. toronado455 macrumors regular

toronado455

Do you have a link that doesn't require participation in some Google question & answer thingy?

That's interesting. That would be for a restore, not a clean install, correct?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... I never saw that question thingy before. I cleared my cookies, then it does pop up. Annoying. Below is the text of the article.

Yes, exactly.