Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
I have a huge iTunes library & I'm in the process of reorganising it & rather than manually select each album & create a new playlist from it, want to do this using a script / automator.

I've tried searching posts / doug's scripts / apple support and all advice is "you don't want to do it as it slows down your library" etc, so no further info given, thing is though, I do want to do it, speed/space isn't an issue.

Anyone got any ideas how it can be done? It would be very much appreciated!

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Have you played around with Smart Playlists? You can really do a lot if you're creative. A few clicks and you can have hundreds of songs in one playlist. For example, create a Rock (genre) mix with a date range and you're listening right away.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Have you played around with Smart Playlists? You can really do a lot if you're creative. A few clicks and you can have hundreds of songs in one playlist. For example, create a Rock (genre) mix with a date range and you're listening right away.

Yeah, I know about the smart ones, but again, all i want is a playlist for each album, mainly because it's easier to sync to phone/pad, i just can't believe that something seemingly that should be so easy is darned near impossible to find info on!

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
How to create playlists from all albums in iTunes?

Can't seem to find a tool for it either.. It looks like a piece of software to do this could be a goldmine lol :D

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Yeah, I know about the smart ones, but again, all i want is a playlist for each album, mainly because it's easier to sync to phone/pad, i just can't believe that something seemingly that should be so easy is darned near impossible to find info on!

Does the built in Albums function not work for you? Or perhaps you don't have the meta tags needed to organize by albums? If the latter is the case, do you know you can grab a whole group of songs and edit the meta tags at once? It might take a while but it would get you what I think you're looking for.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Yeah, it works fine, meta is part of the reason why I scrubbed my library
to start over & get rid of dupes & add albums in lossless, but I have tens
of thousands of albums & trying to avoid wasting so much time creating
a playlist from each one, even tried Automator to follow what I was doing
with no luck, as I say, it should be easier!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.