How to create self extracting zip files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ingredients, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Ingredients macrumors newbie

Hey folks,
    First post! I'm wondering what app out there will let me create self extracting zip files that can be used on all computers (ie Mac and PC).

I've tried a couple of programmes but can't seem to get it working. Any tips would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You mean like those .exe files in earlier Windows days?

Modern OSs are able to extract .zip files without any additional software, thus the .zip file is kind of self-extracting anyway.

Mac OS X and Windows (since XP) are able to extract .zip files without an unarchiving software.

3. Ingredients thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I didn't actually realise that. If I create a .zip on any programme designed for Mac, will users of any other OS have any problems opening that? Are there special Mac .zip equivalents that a Mac programme would default to, but that don't work on Windows etc?

Thanks again

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

No, ZIP files are pretty much universal. Regardless of what created it, any OS with support can open it.

That said, due to the differences in the supported features, when you use the Finder (by right-clicking) to create a ZIP file, pretty sure it also adds some "metadata" files to the archive. These are invisible when decompressed on a Mac--the data contained is just put back where it belongs upon decompression--but when decompressed on a PC there will be some 0 size "garbage" files included in the archive.

They're harmless, and it should be pretty obvious which files are the "right" ones to a Windows/Linux user, but if you want to avoid any clutter you can use a 3rd party ZIP application to create archives. I've never bothered, personally.

For reference, there is a program called Stuffit, which has its own Mac-oriented archive format, .sit (though there are Windows tools for compression/decompression as well), but due to widespread support of .zip in the OS there's little point in using it anymore for the average person. It's sort of a holdover from the OS9 days where you really did need a different format to distribute Mac applications and files with resource forks.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X has a built-in archiving/compressing utility, and as far as my experience with it goes (I seldom use .zip files), it seems to work okay, but hiccups do occur on the Windows side from time to time. If it has to do with missing knowledge on the recipient's side (Windows user) or if it is an incompatibility I don't know.

6. Ingredients thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for the replies.

I used the built in compression utility and downloaded the .zip I made on to Windows afterwards. When I opened it the file had a 'MACOSX' folder or something similarly named.

Is there a way to avoid this, because I want to put up .zips for people to download from a website, and I want the package to be as 'neat' as possible!

Thanks

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I think it doesn't include that folder if you select multiple files (instead of a folder with files) and then ctrl-click and select archive.