How to create this effect/clip?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rye9, Aug 7, 2009.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

If this is in the incorrect forum mods, please move it.

Anyways, my question is: in a video I'd like to create, I would love if I could implement one of those things used in movies and on TV, where there is a map and it shows a dot move across a path from one point to another. This effect is commonly used in road trips in movies I think, if you can even understand what effect I'm trying to recreate in here. Basically, there's a panned out view of a map and then a path moves across it to show where people are going.

2. Justinm59 macrumors regular

What software are you using? I believe the newest iMovie has a preprogramed effect just like that. I have never used it personally but it would be worth looking into if you have iMovie 09.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

I will be using the newest iMovie actuallly... can anyone direct me to where this feature is? If iMovie really has this preprogrammed I would be so thrilled.

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

I do have another question however... my movie I plan to make will primarily be a slideshow of pictures rather than video clips. I am just choosing to use iMovie rather than iPhoto for the animated maps feature; will this be easy to work with or should I stick with iPhoto since it's photo work?

4. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

You should create the slideshow in Iphoto and export it as a Quicktime movie so you can use it in Imovie and manipulate it, add the map where you want it, etc.

5. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Ok well how do I create a slideshow? I know I can click "slideshow"... and then within it I can adjust the music and themes using the dialog box... however how do I save it? Once I exit the slideshow, all I am left with is the album I used for the slideshow. If I go to "export" I know there's a slideshow option, however will it export it correctly with the appropriate settings that I applied within the slideshow?

Basically, it seems to me you can view custom slideshows... but only save albums, not customized slideshows. I'm sure I'm missing something, though.

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

When you have set the slideshow as you want you should then exit it.

Select the event or album with the slideshow and go file>export>slideshow.

If it is for a video export it with the highest settings possible!

If you click custom export you can even select a higher resolution.

Hope this is what you wanted.

7. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

When I do this... will the music and themes settings I selected while in the slideshow be saved and exported?

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Yep the film will be exactly as you have seen the slideshow.

Then in iMovie you will be able to select the part of the slideshow you want and then add in the map then the slideshow after it.

Consider maybe exporting the slideshow without a soundtrack as in iMovie it will be broken up with the addition of the maps and would be easier to add a base track in iMovie after all the additions.

9. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Ah, very true. Thanks :)

10. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Ok maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but I ran into an issue... my album contains more than 200 pictures, and I can't export more than 200... so I don't know what I should do.

Should I just make two smaller slideshows and then combine them in iMovie?

11. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Well, after having my MBP go up to almost 200 degrees and waiting an hour... it finally exported a slideshow... however it seems as if it exported all of the pictures even though there was more than 200?

Is this just an illusion? I mean, the last picture of the album is the last picture in the slideshow... were a few cut out? I don't understand that with a warning message in iPhoto saying "can not export more then 200 photos"... how it seemingly exported the entire album in slideshow form.