How to Create .TXT Document within Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by curious12, Aug 28, 2013.

1. curious12 macrumors newbie

On Windows, I right-click an empty space in Windows Explorer and select New > Text Document. Can I do the same from within Finder?

Very often, I drill down into different subfolders within Finder and need to add notes.txt to the folders. Right now, it's a very archaic process of opening TextEdit > New Document and then Saving the document after drilling down into these subfolders. Very unproductive!

Any help would be appreciated.

2. 835153, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

835153 Guest

Highlight the item. Click Get info. Then type in 'spotlight comments field'. Not exactly what its for I don't think but it works for me.

Or just keep TextEdit in your dock or Finder sidebar and click on it to open a new document.

Third option is to use Automator to create a Finder Plugin so when you do right click on a file you have the option to open TextEdit (or whatever you want).

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That functionality is not present in OSX.

The closest thing is that you hit cmd-spacebar (brings up spotlight) and type textedit and then hit enter to start the app. Yeah, I know its not the same but OSX does some things that windows doesn't and vice versa and this is one of those cases.

4. curious12 thread starter macrumors newbie

There has to be some 3rd party app out there! I can't imagine i'm the only one with this need. I'm a transitioning Win > Apple enduser and this missing feature coupled with no side-by-side windows option makes it hard to work smart :/

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

PathFinder can do this. They offer a trial so check them out.

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

One other option if you are just want to create text files. You can drag the folder from finder to TextWrangler, which will open it's folder browser in that folder which you dragged. Then do a cmd-n to open a new file in that folder.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... with a bit of work. Follow this article to make an Automator service that will give you a right click action to make a new text file.

8. benwiggy macrumors 68020

As said, there are automator actions that can do this.
    However, you don't need to drill down through the folders again. You can drag a folder from the Finder into TextEdit's Save dialog, and the dialog will then be at that location.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I would keep an empty/template txt on the desktop and option drag anytime it is needed. But it may help if we understand why you're doing this. Perhaps there is some completely other way to accomplish the same thing.

10. philden macrumors newbie

Note that, if you have a finder window open for your destination directory, you can drag the small folder icon from the title bar to the 'save' browser. This avoids having to navigate the directory structure twice.