How to crop a VIDEO_TS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stormbringer, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Stormbringer macrumors regular

I have some material on my Mac which I want to crop (I don't need the whole video). iMovie and Premiere Pro don't seem to open the whole folder, and Googling only gives me results with AVI/MPEG etc.

Does anyone know how to do this?

2. modular macrumors regular

handbrake, its free and its awesome.
    http://handbrake.fr/

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can also use MPEG Streamclip to convert the MPEG-2 video to DV, which is better suited for editing.
    Handbrake will only allow you to convert it to .avi, .mp4, .mkv with the MPEG-3 codec or .h264 one, and both are highly compressive.

So, if you want to edit those clips, better take MPEG Streamclip (squared5.com) to convert to DV (Digital Video - a type of tape, which is encoded into a DV stream - 3.25MB/s).

You can also use MRoogle for looking for topics with similar questions (many).

4. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! I found out that Toast can do this conversion, which I already have (MPEG Streamclip wants me to buy some additional software to convert to DV). When done I should be able to trim (yes, that's probably a better word than "crop" - I want to trim in the length of the file not in the dimensions) the DV in iMovie for instance.

Thanks again! :)

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I forgot, that Apple wants you to buy the MPEG-2 QuickTime component for 20$, so you can watch/edit/convert MPEG-2 videos with QuickTime.

MPEG-Streamclip just needs this component, it doesn't want you to buy anything.

6. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular