Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raylo32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
I have a Windows server running at home and need to access and administer it remotely from time to time. The app store RD client works fine on the iPhone but for real work need a laptop, for which I usually had my Zenbook. Now I want to use my MBA2 and the app store RD client also works great on it. But how can I crtl-alt-delete the remote PC with the Mac keyboard? I see ctrl and delete and will assume (mistake?) that they are mapped the same as Windows PC. But what key does the alt?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a Windows server running at home and need to access and administer it remotely from time to time. The app store RD client works fine on the iPhone but for real work need a laptop, for which I usually had my Zenbook. Now I want to use my MBA2 and the app store RD client also works great on it. But how can I crtl-alt-delete the remote PC with the Mac keyboard? I see ctrl and delete and will assume (mistake?) that they are mapped the same as Windows PC. But what key does the alt?
First, "MBA2" is not a thing. An M2 MacBook Air is about the 15th generation MacBook Air model, assuming that's what you mean.
In any case, control-alt-delete is sent on Macs in the Microsoft Remote Desktop client by typing fn-control-alt/option-delete/backspace.

Reactions: chabig and raylo32

raylo32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Hey, you knew what I meant by MBA2 so I'll keep using that instead of typing: M2 MacBook Air is about the 15th generation MacBook Air model. Thanks for the crtl-alt-delete info.

Let me qualify this: If I have an issue that I believe is hardware dependent I will use a more formal description of my device.

Last edited:

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Some information which probably doesn't add much...

I figured I'd just research how to configure the keyboard mapping in Microsoft's RDP client (I assume that's the one you're using) and was surprised to learn that it can't be done.

Jump Desktop can also serve as an RDP client. The keyboard mapping is completely configurable in that software. Unfortunately, JumpDesktop is kind of expensive at $35. I bought it on sale for half price. It does much more than RDP, so I'd probably have bought it even at full price.

raylo32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Yes using MS RDP client. I really don't need the key mapping except for ctrl-alt-delete to get to the task manager or quickly reset the server PC. But I can get to that in the search box easy enough.

nmt1900

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
Ctrl+Option+Backspace seems to do the trick for me. At least for Windows Server 2012, 2016 and Windows 10 sessions...

Reactions: raylo32

raylo32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
That makes a lot of sense. So, option maps to alt. The others are almost the same except for the Mac "delete" key being only backspace. Not having a regular delete key is another little surprise for me with my first Mac. I guess I'll get used to it. I'll test this fairly soon after I get some VPN maintenance done.

Ctrl+Option+Backspace seems to do the trick for me. At least for Windows Server 2012, 2016 and Windows 10 sessions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.