how to customise with no winterboard ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by icrot, May 13, 2011.

1. icrot macrumors newbie

hi guys,*
    i just got an ip4 on iOS 4.02 that i use with tMo. limera1ned & installed winterboard for some theming but no luck because it crashed randomly and i lost unlock. so without winterboard, is it possible to customise : carrier name, signal, wifi, batterry & lock screen ? i am familiar with SSH and using a PC.
    i've been googling for some time but still haven't found a good tut to go with. can anybody point me out pls ?*

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i dont think UIImages can be themed without winterboard

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

With the exception of the lockscreen (depending on what you're looking to do on their) all the images for the battery, carrier icon, signal/wifi can be replaced via SSH. Obviously it'll be a permanent change so you'll need to make sure like the images you're using :)

4. icrot thread starter macrumors newbie

h1r0ll3r,

thx for your reply. i can live with stock lockscreen :cool:
    i am looking for step by step tutorial to do this. do you know any comprehensive tutorial about this ? so far what i found, is quite a risky business just to get a lil bit make up. if i made a single mistake in replacing them, i could end up to do restore :eek:. is that true ? how come ?

5. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Because you are replacing stock files with your own custom/altered files inside the system. You mess up and the system is corrupted. It's easy to replace files, but if you are unsure about doing it, don't.

Why do you not want to use Winterboard? It works quite well. That's why it exists- if you don't like what you've done, you just untick the file and no problem- which can be done in SafeMode if the phone begins to have any issues with what you installed (rare).

6. akasch macrumors regular

Can someone link me/tell me where the wifi and signal image files are stored? I don't think you can replace them anymore via ssh anymore with the new software? I hope I'm wrong because I theme without winterboard and would really like new bars!

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

No need for a step by step tutorial. All you're doing is replacing image files so it's pretty simple. You WILL need to make sure you backup all stock images so that's the only thing you need to be concerned about. If you forget to backup some images, you can find them online through a quick Google search so no need to restore...unless you delete some other system file, then you're in trouble.

Take a look at this website and it'll show you where the icons are located at on your phone. Using SSH, simply navigate to the locations, backup the originals and move your new images into place, then respring.

You can look at the website as well as it shows you where the signal/wifi icons are located at.