How to Customize Apple TV to Show Only the Channels You Use

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jul 6, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

We've been waiting for the fourth-generation Apple TV for at least two years now, and we've been teased with vague comments, leaks from the supply chain, and analyst predictions for several years running. We thought we'd get a look at it this year at the Worldwide Developers Conference, but Apple was still not ready to show it off.

[​IMG]

Until we get a whole new model with, hopefully, a brand new look to the operating system, we have to stick with what we've got. The number of media channels is not getting any smaller, with Apple adding new content on a regular basis. For example, Apple recently added NatGeo TV. Content options are great, but sifting through dozens of channels can be a pain sometimes.

If you're tired of scrolling through the nearly seven dozen channels looking for the ones you use most, you can hide everything you don't want to access, making it much easier to get to the content you want. We've got a quick tutorial to show you how.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Customize Apple TV to Show Only the Channels You Use

2. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Removing the channels you never watch or access is not the problem but the ugly UI it is like scrolling through huge wall of bricks which causes scan lines issue with my TV. Not sure why Apple just can not change the UI for the current Apple TV for the time being.

3. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

On some fronts Apple is so pathetic and slow. This is one of them.

4. Anonymous2k macrumors newbie

@MacRumors

An easier way to hide channels is to simple stay on the home screen - Hold down the middle button - they'll start to "jiggle" - then hit "play" and you'll be prompted to hide the channel.

This way is much quicker.

5. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

An alternative is to move away from the U.S., the rest of the world don't get enough channels to make it worth hiding any.

6. Anonymous2k macrumors newbie

Highly disagree, your overlooking regulatory and "deals in place" within other countries that prevent Apple from delivering the consistency of product found in the U.S.A. across other countries.

Channel choice is not a "black & white" situation as it should be.

7. donniedarko macrumors regular

Yep nailed it. This is much better, the other quicker.

8. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Eh? My point ( though meant light-heartedly) was that other countries have less channels, I wasn't commenting on why that is so.

9. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

I have no scan line issues. You may have a defect in your set. Calibration would probably fix it.

10. BillyBobBongo, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

...and unsurprisingly the same tip that Apple offer up when you boot up your brand new Apple TV and use the navigation area the first time.

11. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

IME, the ability to "scrub" around (backwards/forwards) hasn't been great with the ATV. The fact that my Cox DVR can (mostly) run circles around the ATV interface shows how lacking Apple's UI has been. It's been nothing short of horrid with the MLB.tv app. This needs a from-the-ground-up overhaul, like a Snow Leopard release, but for ATV...

On the bright side, I noticed last night that I'm up to Apple TV (5). :rolleyes:

12. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Whatever happened to, "It just works"?

13. BruiserB macrumors 65832

It would be nice if my 3 ATVs could be synchronized through iCloud. So that if I hide a channel on one it hides on all 3. Or if I verify my cable subscription in an app, it would verify in that same app on my other ATVs. Even better, why can't I just put my DirecTV (or other provider credentials) into the Settings of the ATV once and any app that can be verified with a DirecTV (or other provider) subscription is automatically activated? The TV by TV and app by app verification is a completely un-Apple experience.

14. Razeus macrumors 603

For the love of god, make the Apple TV interface show up in my iPhone/iPad so I can do this from there by tapping wiggling X's. UI is a PITA.