How to Customize Apple's Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While the Magic Mouse has been around for quite some time, Apple recently updated the accessory with an integrated rechargeable battery and other changes, so some MacRumors readers deciding to give the device a try may be new to it. If you're coming from a more traditional mouse, you should know there's a lot the Magic Mouse can do that might not be obvious. Rather than merely serving as a point and click device, the Magic Mouse and Magic Mouse 2 use swiping and tapping gestures along with the traditional clicks.

Because the Magic Mouse incorporates taps and swipes, some of its features may be hidden or confusing to someone that's never used one before. We've created this quick how-to guide for readers who are new to the Magic Mouse, covering the ins and outs of the device to help you get the most out of it.

[​IMG]

First off, we want to note that tapping is not the same as clicking. The latter, as with traditional mouse buttons, requires that you press on the mouse until you hear a clicking noise or feel a clicking action.

Tapping is not a common feature on a traditional mouse, but is one of Apple's Magic Mouse specialties. When you tap on the mouse lightly, as if you were tapping on your iPhone screen, you are triggering a different action than clicking.

The Magic Mouse supports tapping or double tapping with one finger and tapping or double tapping with two fingers, all of which trigger different actions, depending on what you have enabled.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Customize Apple's Magic Mouse

2. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

Do these changes also affect the original Magic Mouse? I use Better Touch Tool (BTT) to get additional gestures to work on my Magic Mouse, but BTT causes kernel panics when used with certain applications. I'd welcome having some native support of some extra gestures. Combining gestures with a mouse gives me a pretty nice productivity boost.

3. breather macrumors member

breather

BTT is awesome, used it for years :)

4. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

naughty mouse. trackpad is way better for Mac OSX gestures. and BTT reveals new worlds

5. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

Next up in your MacRumors Tutorials, how to use a toaster!

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

If it's an Apple toaster, perhaps.

7. groovyd Suspended

groovyd

love the magic mouse... hard to appreciate any other mouse after using it for over 5 years now. tapping to zoom in and out of web page sections and it's speed and sensitivity to scroll swipes is without equal.

8. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

I'm not ready for that one yet. I'm still trying to pass my test for "How to turn on a flashlight."

9. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

You guys are so advanced. I'm still stuck on "how to put in battery."

10. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Me? I'm still stuck (so to speak!) on "how to use a toilet" – I'm miles 'behind' (oo-er missus!) you guys.

11. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I've been using MagicPrefs since 10.5 and it has been nothing but rock solid. It's one of the first things I install on a new Mac and I don't know what I'd do without it! Highest recommendation without the slightest hesitation. It works across all of Apple's touch input devices. I've got several shortcuts set up for my Magic Mouse. People think I'm so weird for loving such an odd little mouse. Then they see how fast I can fly around OS X and their eyes glaze over.

12. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Using a Mighty Mouse and Trackpad with my iMac for years.
    The Magic Mouse never felt comfortable to me.

13. Donoban macrumors 65816

Donoban

Bloody gold mate!

14. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

15. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth