How to cut a hole in the smart cover?

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Wondering how to cut a small hole out of the smart cover?
I am planning to buy a case wich snaps the smart cover to the back of the ipad. But i still want to make photographs and videos that way. So how do i cut a hole in it? :)

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Wondering how to cut a small hole out of the smart cover?
I am planning to buy a case wich snaps the smart cover to the back of the ipad. But i still want to make photographs and videos that way. So how do i cut a hole in it? :)
Why not fold the 1st section of the Smart Cover back?

Maritan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
I'm looking for something very similar, except I want to take videos. The Moshi Concerti folds in a way that allows you take videos. Seems like a good choice. The only reason that I haven't ordered it yet (if it is, in fact, available for ordering) is that I would prefer something more rugged for my purposes. The Concerti does not have a hard back.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Step 1. Obtain some cobra blood
Step 2. Apply drop of cobra blood where you want the hole
Step 3. Get out your Honey Badger (assuming you already have this?)
Step 4. Release Honey Badger on Smart Cover. He'll smack the crap out of that cover and chew a hole right through it. Works for polyurethane or leather, Honey Badger don't care.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Step 1. Obtain some cobra blood
Step 2. Apply drop of cobra blood where you want the hole
Step 3. Get out your Honey Badger (assuming you already have this?)
Step 4. Release Honey Badger on Smart Cover. He'll smack the crap out of that cover and chew a hole right through it. Works for polyurethane or leather, Honey Badger don't care.

Do you make bongs too?

Lol

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
A cigar punch would work nicely. Put a dot of ink for reference where you want to punch through, place the cover on a soft backing (like a legal pad) and push straight through while rotating the punch slightly.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
A cigar punch would work nicely. Put a dot of ink for reference where you want to punch through, place the cover on a soft backing (like a legal pad) and push straight through while rotating the punch slightly.
will that give me a clean result and no ugly edges?

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Yes, if you're punching leather- and provided you use a sharp, new punch, and push straight through. I would tap with a hammer- one sharp tap straight through.

As insurance you could put blue painter's tape (NOT regular masking tape) on both sides of the cut area before punching.

Most cigar punches cut about 8 mm, which should be enough to avoid vignetting through the hole, but you might want to test this first with a cardboard mockup.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Find a print shop with a paper drill. Ask if they'll punch the hole. Paper drills use a hollow drill bit that will give you a nice clean hole.

Jacooch

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
Just a thought, you might want to remove then ipad from the cover prior to punching a hole. Just saying, lol.

Last edited: