How to cycle through pictures in Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by andy06, Feb 15, 2012.

1. andy06, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

andy06 macrumors member

I want image folders to be in Icon view and then be able to view the pics and cycle through them in the same order that they are sorted in Finder.
    Basic image viewing essentially.

I recently switched to OS X and realised there is almost no way to achieve this, so I'm guessing there are some workflow differences at play.

I've already tried the usual things:

1. Quick Look does not cycle through the images (pressing right arrow - next only works till end of "line", so 4-5 images tops in icon view).

2. Quick Look + Tab key does not help either, since while this DOES cycle all the way through, it ONLY does so in Alphabetical order.

3. Coverflow. Ugh

4. List view + Quick Look + Down arrow works but then you lose the icon previews, so its kinda pointless for image files.

Is everyone on OS X using some other method? iPhoto?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you select all before you activate Quick Look you can scroll through all the photos in a folder, or you can open all the photos in a folder with Preview.

3. andy06 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, that would only seem to work if I look at every photo in the album.

I'm trying to basically attain functionality similar to say Facebook, Google+, Flickr, Picasa, Windows or Linux. (Grid of pictures, freely open any and cycle onwards).

The reason pre-selecting won't work with Quick Look is I can't view 5 pics, then skip to the middle and view some more n then skip to the end. As soon as I exit and re-activate Quicklook, it'll lose the pre-selection. So I'll have to repeatedly pre-select bunches of 4s and 5s.

How do you do it on your computer? View pics like in FB, G+, Windows Explorer or Linux Nautilus I mean.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't really know what you mean. You could try something like Xee to see if it has view options like what you are looking for, or turn up the size of the thumbnail icons.

http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee

5. andy06, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

andy06 thread starter macrumors member

Picture viewing like in FB, G+, Flickr, Picasa, Explorer, iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) or Nautilus. Any photo utility elsewhere basically :)

You have icons sorted by date. You can then open any image and then go next, next, next to cycle through them. That's all :)

Lets say you have 200 vacation pictures sorted by date (so that they aren't mixed and jumbled)
    You have them in Icon view so that you can see which picture is which
    You want to view couple of pics that catch your eye (6 pictures taken in the bar, 4 on the beach) etc.

Just image browsing basically.
    Every platform (Web, Mobile or Desktop) by any vendor (including Apple's iOS) handles it in the exact same intuitive, specific way. They're all exactly the same. OS X however, is different. So how to adapt the workflow?

Xee seems to be a better preview but still doesn't follow or recognise the sort order in Finder. In some ways its worse coz it can't use arrow keys and has its own custom sorting options (At least Preview follows Finder if we select all and open all in Preview)