How to darken Lion menu bar without breaking anything

Discussion in 'macOS' started by inscrewtable, May 25, 2012.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

The menu bar us a bit too bright for me and I don't want to add 3rd party hacks so I was wondering if there is an easy way to replace a system resource file that won't bugger up the OS. And if there is, where it is located.

2. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I'm not familiar with any system file you can change, but Nocturne is a nice free alternative and it's easy to uninstall

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

can't you change it under "appearence"?

[​IMG]

----------

*edit

no you can't. sorry

4. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

I've had a look at nocturne some time ago and from memory it made the menu bar black with white type which I did not like. I just want the light grey that it is now to be a few shades darker. The text can stay black.

I was wondering if there is a simple tif image somewhere in the system resources that controls the current light grey.

5. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Top is how it is now, middle image is how I'd like it, and if there was a tif resource that controls the flyout background as well then the bottom image would be my ideal

[​IMG]

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you can do it turn menu bar transparency on then use a desktop photo that is dark along the top just enough pixels to match up with the width of the menu bar. That would make it look darker like you want.

I recall when I think Leopard came out the the transparency and it could not be turned off, there was actually a web site someone setup that you could upload a photo to and it would add just the right amount of dark band across the top to do this. I just search a little but no longer see the site. You might be able to just figure out how many pixels wide the menu bar is and make your own desktop like this.

7. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

There is already has a black image the full size of the screen, which is part of the problem insofar as it makes the menu bar stand out even more.

What I'm really wanting to know is, is what determines the menu and flyouts, is there something simple like a single tiff file in the system resources? Or should I just forget about it.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That's what I am saying... with a dark desktop like you have, if you turn on transparency the black will show through and the menu will be much less intrusive.

I don't have an answer for your second question. Sorry.

9. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Yes, the menus are tiff images, but you can't edit them without 3rd party software, and even then you risk losing your GUI (That happened to me once). You could way back in OS X Tiger, but from leopard on they are located in several types of zipped files.

try this for the menu bar-
    http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16810834

10. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

In the end I've gone back to nocturne and although I did not like it at first I find that it's actually not too bad after some tweaking.

However it's the overly bright flyout menus that would be nice to tone down. Maybe apple should consider that as a future option seeing as all their apps like FCP and Aperture as well as the new CS6 all go for a dark environment and bright menu flyouts, especially big ones can be very annoying.