How to 'deactivate' an installed app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bsheridan, Feb 12, 2008.

1. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Ok so I have leopard 10.5.1, tried it and it had too many bugs for me so I've been using a partition on my HD running tiger.

Before updating the leopard OS to 10.5.2, is there any way I can 'deactivate' installed third party apps so as to not cause any problems with the leopard update? I still want to have the apps on my HD so as after I've updated leopard I can 'reactivate' each app to see if it causes any conflicts with the OS.
    hope thats clear for everyone,

thanks, B.

2. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I've never heard of such a thing but I could be proven wrong. Why don't you just remove the app(s) in question and keep their source (dmg, zip, etc)? When you're done just install them again.

3. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I think what they mean is remove the license from proprietary apps. Is this they case? If you still have your licenses (you should), I think you can just reenter them after the 10.5.2 update.

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Third-party standalone applications should not conflict with an operating system update. To be honest, I don't see the point of what you want to do; deactivating applications will only prompt the application to ask you for registration information again.

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly. The only thing I heard of that conflicted with Leopard was APE by unsanity (and most of those were in the upgrade process).

6. kyleaa macrumors regular

Unless you are using very rare 3rd party apps, chances are problems would be documented by now.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, it's not a licensing issue (although that was my thought at first glance). What the OP wants to do is remove any third-party components that load on boot, a la the Extension Manager in OS 9.