Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hi

Last night my pocket got picked and my iPhone 5 stolen.
In my impulsive actions I immediately went to iCloud.com and activated the 'erase mode' for my iPhone.
I didn't go for the 'Lost mode' because I knew location services is turned off on the phone.
But now I actually want to give that a try, the iPhone isn't erased yet, because the thief hasn't it connected to the internet yet (Wi-Fi).
I do have a data plan though.
Another question, when the location services are turned off, does that also automatically mean the device shows up as offline in Find My iPhone? Or did they turn the phone off...

Thanks in advance

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
With the location services turned off, it would still show up as available with no location. If your iPhone was jailbroken, the erase won't work. Starting with iOS 5 if a device is jailbroken, it cannot be remotely wiped or wiped via the on device reset function.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
With the location services turned off, it would still show up as available with no location. If your iPhone was jailbroken, the erase won't work. Starting with iOS 5 if a device is jailbroken, it cannot be remotely wiped or wiped via the on device reset function.

Nice at least I know now they turned the phone off, so they really stole it and are trying to hide it, thanks.
And no, the phone is not jailbroken, but there may be some remnants in the phone of a jailbreak, (restoring doesn't delete all jailbreak files and I had evasion once).
The iPhone is running on the latest iOS 6.
If the phone gets erased, will I still be able to track it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.