How to deactivate Photoshop Elements 6?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xert, Aug 3, 2008.

1. xert macrumors newbie

Title tells everything... How to deactivate Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac?

I want to uninstall PSE 6 but the uninstaller tells me to deactivate PSE 6 first. However, there seems to be no option for deactivation in the applications installed with PSE 6 (i.e. PSE 6 for Mac itself, Bridge CS3, Stock Photos CS3, Adobe Help Viewer 1.1).

I have tried to search the web and Adobe's knowledge base... with no luck. Search in PSE 6's internal Help returns one result for 'deactivate' - but it's something about editing pictures.

There's no 'Deactivate...' under Help menu.

2. southwind07 macrumors newbie

How to deactivate Photoshop Elements 6?

Xert seems to be correct -- I also find no option to deactivate PE 6 from Mac. However, I decided to "ignore" this advice in the install/uninstall dialog, and went ahead with the unistall anyway. I then removed the PE 6 icon form the dock, as well as icons for any related applications (e.g. if you've placed Adobe Bridge on the dock), and aditional files and folders from the Applications folder.
    I restarted my MacBook Pro (running Snow Leopard) and reinstalled PE 6. Be aware, you may have to be VERY PATIENT during the installation. I was sure for a while that it had got hung, but eventually it worked its way through the process.
    Photoshop Elements 6 now seems to be working fine. :)

PS: I had to do this because I had temporarily migrated PE 6, plus document files, to a slightly older MacBook Pro (running Leopard) to take it away in the field. When I came back, I found that the newer machine would not let me open PE 6 because it appeared to not have a valid registration, or something. I assume the migration had transferred a single-user license to the other machine.
    The precursor to all the above, then, was to uninstall PE 6 from the older machine, with internet connection active (in case it needed to communicate with Adobe -- am not sure it did).

PPS: If you don't have a physical disk with PE 6 setup, and cannot do an uninstall from downloaded application files, various users have recommended Applications --> Utilities --> Adobe Installers to find and run PE 6 uninstall.
    In a thread on the ElementsVillage forum, Wendy posted this advice...
    "This is about the only software that uses this uninstall method. All the rest you just drag and drop them in the trash .. and that does it. Sadly Adobe change the way you uninstall on a Mac when PSE6 came out and its been confusing us Mac users ever since. Unlike Windows users we just are not used to using Uninstallers" :cool:

Good luck!