How to deal with many problems in new Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark-Technology, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Mark-Technology macrumors member

I have had a very bad experience with my first Macbook Pro. I bought it not a week ago and have been facing some issues that are really unbearable considering the specs of my Pro. I have had an iMac in the past and nothing like this has happened.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15.4'' Late 2011 Model - Standard low end configuration.
    Processor - 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory - 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Software - Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2
    Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512 MB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
    Hardrive500GB Standard

First day was going well with no problems. The next couple days I loaded a few simple apps on it such as eBay, coconutbattery etc. - I was browsing safari, using the appstore and itunes and I got beachballed. Everything froze except the beachball and I had to force restart the computer. After that it happened again while I was using Textedit and I had to force restart again. Now every other instance, I get beachballed on such a high tech machine for practically doing nothing major. I am not using any hardcore video/photography tools and this machine should have no problems running a web browser and a few apps at the same time as it was designed to do...it should be able to do even more than this. Some other small things I noted were that the computer freezes a lot when opening the lid and/or quitting from display sleep. Activity monitor should me that 99% of my cpu was being used while I was running MS Word and iTunes...that is just a load of crap. I have 4gb ram and it tells me I have 150mb
    page outs and 450mb page ins on average while only running safari. Shouldn't 4gb be practically too much for web browsing; the system shouldn't be relying on virtual memory at all.

*Whenever I got beachballed I had to force restart it as I had no other option. The hardrive started running very fast at these times as well.

I'll let you guys be the judge...should such a strong machine have problems operating such simple tasks? I didn't expect this at all.

Please suggest what I could do? Could apple replace my Macbook Pro if I went to them and listed all this happening with me? I know they will say something like reset nram/spc or whatever that crap is...I have tried that already.Should I try restoring lion or just ask apple something you suggest?

Thanks a ton!
    Mark

2. Radiomarko macrumors member

Radiomarko

If you are near an Apple Store take it in and demonstrate the issue. Could be bad RAM, many things. You have paid for that level of service. If remote location, give them a call.

Let us know the result.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

You'll probably need to reinstall the OS as a matter of course, but I don't think it'll solve your problems. It sounds like there's something more seriously wrong, and you'll probably need a repair or replacement.

You could boot into the Apple hardware test, D key while booting I believe, to see if that unearths anything.

Then get on the phone and stay on until you get a solution you're happy with. If it's only a week old I'd be looking for a replacement.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why put up with it for a week? You have a 1 year warranty and a 14-day return period, do you need approval from us to use theses things?

You have my blessing.

5. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

I actually returned my Late 2011 MBP because I thought the screen just did not look "right" (and now that I have comparison, the old screen was actually quite bad). Really, when you're in the return period, they won't ask any questions and simply replace it with a new one.

6. Mark-Technology thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

I just got back from apple and am using my new Macbook Pro right now. Replacing wasn't an issue at all, but let's see how this Pro turns out to be.

Mark

7. Radiomarko macrumors member

Radiomarko

Glad to hear it, always hit them up if in doubt.