How to deal with my 2015 Macbook keyboard ...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zadok Kin, May 29, 2019.

1. Zadok Kin, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019

Zadok Kin macrumors newbie

I purchased my MacBook on the first day this model was released. It had some keys that weren't right from the start, which Apple wouldn't acknowledge as a problem at the time. Those keys stopped working properly and the whole "top case" was replaced 6 months later. Fast forward to two months ago, a small collection of keys stopped working properly, and so 2 months ago—a whole new "top case". On this second top case, the space bar had a slight issue which grew over 2 months to the point where the left 1cm (area under the C) stopped working. So a few days ago, a new "top case" again (I was tempted to live with it but it was an annoyance). But now with this third top case, the tab key doesn't work properly (left third of tab key doesn't work at all, middle and right side has to be hit hard to activate.

Thats 3 top cases, and I now have a tab key that doesn't work properly (Im a developer, so I continually alt tab between an editor and a web browser, so this tab key thing is a significant irritation) Whats the point of a new top case if I am going to get keys that don't work properly twice. Are these top cases refurbished rejects or something? Am I just unlucky, or is this normal. Would asking Apple to replace the tab key help at all, I really don't want another top case again! What can I do?

(Also I want to say, I am super grateful and appreciative that Apple have provided such an extremely high level service above and beyond what I would expect, but at the same time, I don't know any other company that supports their device 4 years on. That said, this tab key is super annoying :( I do love the low profile of the new keys, and my next laptop will be a new Macbook or Macbook Pro)

2. kreasonos macrumors regular

Sell it asap

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

My wife is finding herself in the same situation. After almost four years of ownership and a new keyboard in February she's having space, m, , , and . issues.

The machine has made it four years which is about what she expected and she really likes the machine overall, but I just don't know what this machine is going to be worth in a couple of months.

4. Zadok Kin thread starter macrumors newbie

Oddly enough, after about 1 week of use with this new top case, the tab key which was working intermittently (not working at all on the left side), is now working perfectly. It makes me wonder if there was something about this new keyboard that needed 'wearing in' or if there was some dust stuck inside of it right out of the box.

Has anyone ever encountered a key on a new keyboard that needed 'wearing in' before it worked ok?

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

As a really fast typist (160+ wpm) who can destroy normal keyboards in weeks if going full speed...

All keyboards have a break in period. Some take a lot longer than others. My 2017 MBP took about a month. My Magic Keyboard took about 2.5 weeks.

My Dell XPS 15 took about a week.

The sound changes (usually gets louder), the ease of which the keys depress increase, and ... yeah can't really explain it beyond that. lol.

My opinion: All keyboards need a break in period of consistent use.