How to DEAL...with my old iPhone!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TomKease, Feb 15, 2009.

1. TomKease macrumors member

ok...

so i have a 1st gen iphone that's running on edge. Let me tell you i have just about had it up to HERE with it.

Let me tell you that i really enjoy my iphone and think that it has changed the way we will use phones from here on out. I love APPLE stuff, but this ols iphone is killing me. I would get a 3G but with all the rumors of a 3rd generation coming out, i dont wanna spend the money just yet.

Ya see along with the speed of edge, or the lack there of, i really hate that the iphone doesn't have features that every other phone has these days.
    i know everyone bitches about the iphone not having MMS, copy & paste, forwarding of text messages, gps that helps you(HA), running something like messenger in the background. but these are things that a guy me would use all the time and it seems that i have taken these for granted.

Mostly im disgusted with the egde network. I wanna punch an old lady as i wait for a page to render. but like i said with a new phone rumored to come out....what to do.

so in the mean time i have been toying with the idea of a blackberry bold, which would appear to do all those things and have a better battery life. well im told it does all that. i have yet to really play with one and talk to someone at att that really knows what they are talking about.

even better do i just hang on to iphone and wait for the palm pre? should i wait and see if apple makes the changes that we all hoping it does? i'm at a loss.

my girlfriend thinks i just want a new toy, which i think is true. i guess theres really no advice anyone can give me. this post was mainly just to vent and make myself feel better. i guess with the slow edge speed and the limitations on the phone, it just gets to me some how.

Thanks for listening....

not sure if i made any sense at all

TK

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

No problem. Not really.

3. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

You arent going to get MMS and copy and paste with another one either. Mine is jailbroken so i get MMS but i wouldnt use copy and paste even if i had it so i dont care.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Priceless. :D

5. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

If you're expecting a blisteringly fast page load on the 3G you may be disapointed. My EDGE iPhone loaded several pages (macrumours / news.bbc.co.uk / apple.com/uk/thestore )faster than a 3G iPhone in the O2 shop in aberdeen over the weekend, in fact i usually get arround 700/800kbps on my EDGE iPhone and my boss only gets 300-400kbps on his 3G. BUT maybe ATT in the US has a slower implementation of EDGE or a faster implementation of 3G? who knows?

I'd say just wait, its still a good phone and it probably is just a bit of new toy envy on your part.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Traveling the U.S. I find that EDGE tends to be 100/200kbps and 3G tends to be 800/1,000kbps. (Apple says "twice as fast" in their ads...I say 5x!)

I had no idea EDGE could be as fast as you get. I've always considered it pretty worthless.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I never really had that much of a problem with the Edge network. I only upgraded to the 3G because of the rumors Edge was being phased out and replaced with 3G towers. I miss my 1st gen!

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

My advice: do what I did -- get a Nokia E71. Why?

- It's 3G.

- It's got push e-mail with GMail (actually with any of the many, many, many IMAP providers that support IDLE).

- It plays back H.264 and AAC content.

- It's got GPS (and Google Maps runs on it) and an FM radio.

- It's got a built-in VoIP client that works over 3G.

- It supports tethering via USB and Bluetooth out of the box.

- It runs Java apps.

- It doesn't require you to purchase apps through Apple.

- To top it all off, the battery lasts longer (and is removable), the phone is slimmer and lighter, and it's considerably cheaper than the iPhone.

Oh, and it's got a real keyboard.

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It can't. I don't know what he's referring to, but EDGE's maximum throughput is 236.8 kbit/s -- and that's assuming all conditions are optimal.