How to deal with reflected descenders.

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by dogbone, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. dogbone macrumors 68020


    Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    Occasionally I will need to reflect a word and I often come up with the same problem of how to deal with a word containing descenders. I was wondering how others tackle this problem.

    Reflecting at the lowest point of the descender doesn't look right, escpecially for a cast shadow coming forward. Do you look for a typeface that looks OK if the descender is shifted up so that its tail is on the baseline or do you just reflect from the descender or do you reflect from the baseline and let the descender do what it will. Or maybe only work with caps, or type without problem letters.
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Jul 4, 2004
    It's not often that I do Photoshop work with type but just visualising it, I would imagine that reflecting from the baseline would be the way to go. After all, it's the tops of letter-forms that provide most of the visual information for legibility.

Share This Page