how to decrease firefox CPU usage?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by natatos, Aug 7, 2009.

1. natatos macrumors regular

My Mac has been lagging a bit every once and a while so I checked Activity Monitor to see why and Firefox is using 40-65 CPU and around 65 threads.
    Also will Snow Leopard thread switching work on every Intel Mac or only new ones? sorry if I'm not making sense.

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

What have you been doing in Firefox to cause this usage and do you use any add-ons?

The only things (that I'm aware of) that won't work with ALL Intel Macs because they require specific hardware that not all Macs have are 64-bit and Open CL. I don't think the thread switching has anything to do with this, so it should work with all Intel macs.

3. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

I have a theme add-on should I get rid of that I have probably 20 tabs that I'm going through now to try and finish what I'm doing so I can close them.

4. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Any of them have any flash content? 90% of the time I would say excessive CPU usage in Firefox has Flash to blame

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have tons of add-ons in firefox and about 5 or 6 themes installed and it never uses that much CPU unless I'm doing something with flash. If you are on youtube or playing any online games, the CPU usage will spike.