How to dedicate NIC to VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pugu, Oct 9, 2010.

1. pugu macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I've searched and searched for info on this but I can't seem to work out the best way of doing it. I have a Mac Pro running latest everything with two NICs. I can work out how to bridge a virtual machine to a specific interface no problem but what I can't work out is how to stop Mac OS X seeing that same Ethernet Interface and using it for all my 'host' based activities. What's the best way to isolate a specific interface from mac os x and dedicate it to the Virtual Machine(s)?

So for example:

Eth0 = 192.168.0.50 > Web Browsing, Email, other nonsense.
    Eth1 = 10.0.0.10 > Asterisk VM / Web Server

I've considered using a firewall but this somehow seems a little inelegant and I'm thinking there must be a better way to do it at a UNIX level...Rather than throw up a firewall that just sits there blocking things all day.

Any suggestions on what route to go down much appreciated.

P

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is inelegant, but very effective. I suggested it to someone else who wanted to keep their VM/Work separate from Mac/personal.

Use a USB NIC (wired or wireless, pick your poison) and push that into the VM.

Link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=818719

B

3. pugu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats a really neat idea actually. I probably won't use it on the Mac Pro since it has the second port already but I've been mulling over a Mac Mini or such like and this would be an awesome solution if I go down that route. Thanks for the tip! :D

I've got Virus Barrier running which I'm very happy with and I can probably throw together some kind of firewall with that. Alternatively I use WaterRoof on another mac (GUI for UNIX firewall) and that rocks for bizarre firewall setups. I'm guessing firewall probably is the best method unless anyone knows a better way. I'd probably fire up WaterRoof for it as Integro's firewall tends to get turned off a lot when required.

P